Toddler (18 months almost) won't go to sleep on his own. Help?

Every night to put my son to bed I give him a bath, rub him with lotion, put on his jammies, kiss Daddy goodnight, and then we turn out the lights turn on his nightlight and lullaby CD. I sit in a chair and hold him and he twiddles my hair and sucks his paci until he falls asleep. Then I move him into his bed once he's out. I don't mind doing this, but I know it's not sustainable. He's getting too big and he needs to learn how to go to sleep on his own. CIO didn't work and I'd rather avoid it anyway.

Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 34 mth od still needs help getting to bed. k his still to lil to understand. my dd is getting better at it. he got rid of the paci 3 weks ago. and that has help. she doesnt take any naps and for bedtime. we put music on and that helps. but for the fist 2 1/2 yrs of my dd life i had to sing to her and cuddle with her in order for he to go sto sleep, she still cires a lil cuz she is scared but i go and check on her. and she falls aslepp within 10 mts of laying down
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm in the same boat. My almost 20 month old won't sleep through the night, won't go to sleep on her own and screams like she's being murdered if I try :( I hope you get some help.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Don't rush it. Enjoy it while you can. In a couple of years hewon't want that anymore.
    Anonymous

• Try having him sit with you for shorter and shorter periods of time so he's sleepy but not totally asleep then stay in the room with him until he falls asleep. Once he gets use to this, start sitting closer and closer to the door. Eventually he'll figure out how to fall asleep on his own. You might also look at the "No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers/Preschooers" by Elizbeth Pantley and/or look at her web sites. I found she had lots of useful suggestions that didn't involve CIO (which, like you, never worked for our son). My son is 2 1/2 and we only recently completely stopped rocking him at night. We seldom rocked him to sleep but now we'll lay with him for a few minutes while he settles down. We leave before he falls asleep.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I don't have much advice... we do CIO with my 18 month old and it works well for him... he doesn't usually cry for more than a couple of minutes before going to sleep.

BUT I would suggest not rocking him to sleep and sneaking him to bed...

My son's routine is this.... bath, songs while we snuggle... then a book or two while he lies in his bed. Sometimes he falls asleep other times he doesn't... but lights go out and we say good night. If he gets up and cries that is when we let him CIO... he knows it's bed time and we aren't going to play any games.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2010