My confession: I am freaked out by the umbilical cord/belly button on a newborn.

I am scared of it. I think I am going to hurt her while cleaning it. How do you clean it? I had my son at 24 weeks so when he came home from the hospital 4 months later it had already fallen off. Am I over reacting?

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It'll be okay. Your nurse will show you how to clean the cord stump; you simply take an alcohol prep wipe and carefully clean around it. It's normal to feel apprehensive about something like that, but you'll be surprised how fast your brain gets on board once the baby's right there in front of you!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• youll surive. i put alchol twice a day until it felt off with both my kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• When does it fall off?
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• it took 2 weeks for both my kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Heh, you're not the only one. My son was a preemie too. I'm terrified when I have another one of what to do with the darn thing!
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 5:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I just put alchol on it once or twice a day (I actaully read though that it may not be needed). DDs fell off around 6 days. I was worried at first too, but it;s like most things, once you see it and start taking care of it, it's not that bad.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010