What would you do if you caught your 10 yr old dd doing a provocative booty dance in the mirror?

My dd just turned 10. I was walking passed her bedroom the other day and i caught her shaking her butt and trying to "gyrate" it like the girls you see in music videos. And what made it worse is that she was looking back in the mirror trying to see what it looked like!! WTF? When I asked her what the hell she was doing, she jump and said nothing, i wasn't doing anything. But i saw her with my own eyes. I dont know where she's gotten this from, I DO NOT allow her to watch MTV, BET or any other channels that have half naked women showing their asses for men. The only channels shes allowed to watch are Disney and Nickelodeon, thats it. But ive noticed that even some of those shows like iCarly have kissing scenes and inappropriate behavior for 8, 9 and 10 yr olds! Seriously, what is going on w/kids today? Im not an old mom, im 26 yrs old and i just dont know what to do.. what would u have done if you caught your dd doing this??

Lextacy

Asked by Lextacy at 4:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• OMG! I don't know, but I can understand how you're upset. I can't even think of my daughter being that age doing stuff like that. She must see it in school . . . kids all have these ipods and cell phones and whatnot.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would have a serious talk with her and ask her where she learned that from. Peers have more influence than you might think. As for the TV, we hardly watch anything any more because of how bad and provocative the media has gotten. I don't want my daughter acting like that so I don't let her watch such things, and I don't either. I too am a young mom of 26, but let's face it. Disney or not, morals are going out the window.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would do nothing. she is probably getting it from her friends. does she go to her friends houses? If so she might be watching it over the.

Answer by louise2 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i would probably join her..haha..but thats just me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Nothing, I know you don't want her to do that, but making her know you are MAD About it might make her hide things from you. My niece is 10 and hides things from her mom that she'll tell me because she's afraid of her "young mom" also being mad or yelling at her.. I remember dancing at that age, you just try to do what you see and all girls watch themselves do that in the mirror -this is prime age for them to feel they want to be older, but still like kid things - its a torn age. show her another way to dance or different fun moves or what about a dance routine for just the two of you? that might be fun for Her and have her practicing that instead.. let her know that you want her to wait for moves you saw her doing til she's older.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I dont know. i guess i can understand but my DD who is 5 dances all the time and shakes her behind. there is nothing wrong with it. I dont let her watch music videos that have stripper like woman on there with bikinis.. But we do watch Icarly, its a innocent show and we watch wizards of waverly place. My DD's also watch Disney channel, Nick but mostly cartoons and also cartoon network.. I guess i have no help to give you because i dont see nothing wrong with it.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• laugh
    Anonymous

• I am a mom of 2 grown DD's. I will tell you this. You can try to lock your kids up/stop them from seeing things all you want. BUT, they will grow up and see the world for what it is some day. I never stoped my girls from watching anything on tv. But I did teach them how to act, at least around me. They new the world was not always a nice place. And to be carefull.

Answer by louise2 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Wow - I would be horrified. That is unacceptable at that age. I am not sure what I would do, but a serious conversation would be inevitable.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would just chuckle. My two daughters would be silly and dance like that too but I didn';t worry about it. Now they are adults and they have values and morals and happy marriages so it just shows there was nothing to worry about. If you are setting a good example on other levels, I am sure you won't have anything to worry about.
    Anonymous