How do i get my almost 3 week old to sleep in his crib at night? I don't know if he just has days and nights switched, or he just wants to be held all the time. (when he's held, he sleeps) once i put him down, he cries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, he's only 3 weeks old, it's going to take a while before he truly sleeps for long stretches at a time, regardless of where he is... And right now, you're his entire world. Have you tried swaddling him? Worked wonders for my boy when he was a baby....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• he probably just like being held. my first child never liked her crib and still doesnt. we co-slept mostly when she was really little and by 6 months i tried getting her to stay in the crib. she is now 18 months and though she goes to sleep in her crib, she almost always gets up in the mid of the night and comes in our room. my second child has no problem with the crib, and he has slept through the night since about a month old. they are just totally different. try to do what is best for you and baby. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Try swaddling him with a thick blanket as you hold him and as he is asleep try laying him down slowly on a boppy pillow and make sure all that is wrapped around him does not shift bc if it does then he'll wake up. And of course keep really close supervision on him go and check on him every so often. GL He has to feel that you are still holding him as time goes by you can slowly lay next to him until he falls asleep.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well, unless you want to be co-sleeping for a while, you have to break him of this. We did it for my DD at 2 mos. She was a crier and would scream and cry any time I wasn't holding her. We just slowly trained her off of it and she has been sleeping in her crib in her own room ever since.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• yea hate to break it to you but thats not gonna happen for a mont or two my son wouldnt sleep without being held till he was around 2 months now he sleeps in his crib at night all night or in our bassinet if we want him in the room but after about a month or so once he is a asleep put him in his bed and keep doing that and he will get use to waking up in there and eventually be able to go to sleep in there ( btw my son is 4 months in 11 days )
    Anonymous

• Swaddling will help...but he's NORMAL. And it's not something that needs to be broken, really...they are programmed to sleep close to their parents, who defend them against bears and saber tooth tigers. Infants are primitive critters who don't know saber tooths are extinct!

It WILL come...patience is your friend.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• What about a sling or other carrier?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010