How do you brush a baby's first teeth?

My son now has 4 teeth and It just hit me that I have never brushed them, I feel horrible I just really don't know how to go about it? Use baby toothpaste and a tooth brush? Use my finger? WHat should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used a soft-bristle brush and brushed them before i put him down at night, he shouldn't need toothpaste at this point unless they have come up with some new infant tooth paste i don't know about.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• go get a gum cleansing kit-- it has a little rubber brush you can put on your finger.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• orajel makes a baby toothpaste that is safe to swallow and it comes with a little brush that you can slip over your finger. that is what i use. plus i bought a kids toothbrush for my daughter to hold while im brushing her teeth, so she can do it too (it makes it fun for her) but like previous poster said, you really dont need any toothpaste. and when i asked my dentist about it, he said i could even just use a wet cloth and go in there and wipe them well. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I use the Orajel kit as well. You should have started months ago, before he ever had teeth. Now he is probably going to freak out that youre sticking something in his mouth.
    Anonymous

• he wont freak out! make it fun. show him when you brush your teeth. show him how you brush, spit, and rinse. he'll want to do it too. get the elmo toothpaste and an elmo toothbrush. the orajel training toothpaste tastes good too. so put a little bit of that on your finger brush. and dont feel bad for not doing it before now. he'll be fine!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes, use the little rubber finger "brush." My son teethed somewhat early (started at 4m1wk and had 8 teeth by 9m). I used the rubber thing when he took a bath. When he started biting, and had all 8, we started using a toothbrush and the training toothpaste. It took a while for him to get used to it! I tried a bunch of things - brushing my teeth too, with my own brush; letting him "brush (ok, chew on his toothbrush) his own teeth, etc. Now he lets me brush them. I sometimes sing the alphabet to get him into a good habit as to how long he should brush for!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• They have a baby toothpaste that comes with a finger brush. It feels good on their gums too. I brushed my daughter's mouth even before she had teeth. You should definietly be cleaning his teeth.
    Anonymous

• I used a finger brush when my kids popped their first teeth. Start getting into the habit now so his teeth stay healthy.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son LOVES getting his 1 tooth and gums brushed. He actually cries when I stop! But I use a stage 1 toothbrush and the oral-b baby tooth and gum cleaner.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2010