Does your 3 1/2 year old speak clearly?

My daughter loves to sing, but most of the words are not very clear. Can your three year old learn entire songs and repeat them clearly? I am worried about her speech.

nonni2

Asked by nonni2 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't remember how my kids spoke at age 3 (they are 7 & almost 9), but we have a friend with a daughter that will be 4 in February and she is still very difficult to understand.
    Anonymous

• I have had some concerns about this myself. You child is the right age to get a "screening." You can call your local school district, and set up a time to have her taken in. They will fill you in on everything.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My daughter was singing her abc's clearly by 18 months...my son is a whole different story. He'll be 3 in March and has had 2 speech evaluations, the first one at 2YO and 2nd at 2.5. He is behind, but still in normal range. He's still hard to understand, but getting there. It can't hurt to have her evaluated if for nothing else than to ease your concern. If your pediatrician hasn't said anything about it, I'm guessing she's ok. It was DS's Dr. that first mentioned it to us, we always chalked it up to DD being and early talker and the whole 'boys talk later' theory...is she in preschool of any kind?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my d sin not 3 yet but she speaks very clear. as for songs, she makes them up, . she can sing. itsty bitsy spider, twinkle tiwinle lil starr. some songs in spanish. five lil monkeys. dora and diego theme songs. micke mouse club hopuse and the icarly theme song. when she makes up songs her words arent to clear. but i know what she is siging about,.her songs usually are am a princess am so preatty and them something else lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my son just turned 3, he can speak ALOT...but muddles words he cant pronounce well....sometimes I get his older 5 year old brother to "translate" LOL.....it just depends on the child. My 5 year old spoke great and alot by 3, my younger son has taken a little bit of time but now he's on a roll!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and speaks fairly well. Sometimes she has a tendency to mumble or talk too quietly for us to hear but for the most part I can understand her.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My 2.5 year old does speak really clearly but two best friends who are your daughter's age don't... but if you have any doubts you can have her evaluated.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Both my kids spoke really clearly by 2 1/2, My son is 3 now, he speaks very clearly, there isn't any thing we don't understand. But every child is different. I have nieces and nephews who didn't speak as clearly by that age. So I suggest that if you feel it's an issue , get it checked. You as the mother know how well you interact with her, and what she should be picking up on.
    Anonymous

• My 3.5 year old is very articulate. But remember, all children develop at their own pace. :) My dad didn't say anything until he was 4. He grew up quite successful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I teach 3-5yr olds in preschool and the majority of the kids are all understandable. We have 3 year olds that all can memorize a song and sing them, most are perfectly clear and understandable. The ones that aren't are all have speech issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2010