developmental evaluation...

okay so my dd is 15months and the dr said tht each time before her age evaluation showed one thing behind which has improved this time however this evaluation showed 3 on borderline to behind or just barley behind...so for that matter i have to have early on come in and evaluate my child. they come next wed to have me sign papers and from there we will set up a date. is anyone else this done for there child? anyone have any ideas wht i have to expect? or what things i should b worried about? there r testing her communication, fine motor skills(i expectd this one to behind cuz mine were when i was a child.) and herpersonal-social skills.

rellcinko

Asked by rellcinko at 5:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give the kid a break. The doctors go off of averages. Stats aren't for everyone. Children develop at different rates. If you are concerned, go ahead and have the eval. But really, do YOU feel it is necessary? If you don't, don't do it.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• the appt is already set up and i figure if it was absolutly unneccessary the dr wouldnt suggest it...the dr has 5 kids of his own so i think hed b very good at telling if it was needed or ot..he said chance r it will come bk fine but he wants this done to make sure because so much its borderline..tht much makes sence to me..Idk when thing are necessary really she is my first so that y i generally go with what the dr has to say
    rellcinko

Answer by rellcinko at 5:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Your call, but really kids develop at different rates. See what they tell you, but they might try and diagnose with something that isn't there. I am a little leery of doctors, but then again I've been sick for 15 years without any answers. Doctors don't know everything. You are her mother. If something was wrong, you would be able to feel it in your gut. It's called mother's intuition, and it real. Trust that, and you'll do just fine. My daughter was slow on something and fast on others. She is 3 1/2 now and going in for a pre-k evaluation so that I know where she is. It is all up to you. The appointment may be scheduled, but that doesn't mean you have to go through with it if YOU don't feel you have it. Go with your gut on this one and you'll be fine.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Take it from someone who has a grown son the was developementally delayed and now raising a grandson who is delayed as well. The evaluation will not hurt anyone. If your child is a little delayed in one area it isn't a big deal. When 3 or more areas start lagging it sends up red flags. It is far easier for a 15 month old to catch up than a 5 or 6 yr old.
    Mostly they will do activities that your child will think is playing. They will evaluate gross and fine motor skills, Looking for muscle weakness..any of those things. Early intervention is the best thing for you child. If the eval comes up that they think everything is really okay..what was lost but a few hours?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm with GrnEyedGrandma. My son was evaluated when he was 18 months old. I totally trust my doctor (who is the mom of a child with autism) and went with her recommendation. Early Intervention is a wonderful program. The evaluation is really simply. It's all done by simply playing with the child and talking with you (in case your child can do something but chooses not to that day). My son was significantly behind on speech and slightly less behind on cognitive skills. He's been receiving services since then (he's now 2 1/2) and has made great progress. While the other posters are correct in stating that kids develop at different paces, the reality is that your doctor is basing his/her assessment based on actually seeing and interacting with your child. Thus, is in the best position to recommend the evaluation. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Well, I think the voices of experience have spoken. Sounds like you have your answer after all.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010