Is it normal for infant boys to...tmi

get boners? My son is 3 months old and recently has had an erection (or at least I think that's what's happening... it's bigger and harder then normal...) a couple of different diaper changes. Is that normal? What makes it happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yep, it's normal... boys of all ages get spontaneous erections. Baby boys actually get erections in the womb. Totally normal, no worries!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• TOTALLY normal! Just like most guys have "morning wood", infants get spontaneous erections too. Cracked me up every time my son did, heh. Now he's constantly grabbing it, too!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Totally normal. I have three boys and they've all gotten erections as infants (and still do I'm sure). It's not sexual at all, it's just the way the male body works. Sometimes it's related to having a full bladder (many grown men get "morning wood" because they need to relieve themselves), part of it could be stimulation from you cleaning him, but it's all just physiological and totally normal. Actually it's a good thing because it shows that all the nerves there are functioning correctly.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• ditto to what the other moms said, AND it is also an indicator that he has to pee. if you open up a diaper to fine a teeny winky standing at attention you should cover it back up for another 5 minutes because he is about to pee!

just wait until he's three and you're in line at the grocery and he says "Mommy, my winky is hard... Mommy, why is my winky hard?... MOM!!! I said my wink is hard!!!"... lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Totally normal. Often happens after exposure to cold air (as in diaper change) or about to pee. If it's standing at attention, cover it back up for a few minutes lest you be peed on.
    Anonymous

• This happened to my son around that age too. Don't worry mama!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• like the other moms have said...it's completely normal...and also a great indicator and help when potty training...especially if you let him go bare bottom at home when teaching to use the potty. : )
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 6:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yep, just like all the other moms have said, its totally normal. Youre not doing anything wrong. The first time my son did it he was a few days old and I was changing his diaper. I had to call my DH into the room to see because I just couldnt stop laughing.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• NORMAL.... My youngest son would yell " My penis is huge and it floats too"
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 6:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• totally normal indeed lol.....surprising at first but yes completely normal.....just wait till he realizes he can touch it....on purpose! oooooooo boy lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2010