haitti ?

I do not keep up with politics or the news, so I have a ?. I heard somewhere this morning that the estimated damage is aprox 9 million, but Obama is sending 100 million. Not counting all the other assistance. First let me say I am ALL FOR helping others!
But can some one please explaine to me the reason behind sending 10 x the amount of damage?
Or did I just miss hear?
Pardon my ignorance. :)

Thanks!!!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• it only hurts me because there are still people living in moldy trailers in New Orleans, and surrounding areas. I am also all for helping other countries and i have already donated money to help the earthquake relief. But it just keeps me wondering why our country isn't put first and made sure our disaster that happened how many years ago is back on track??
    i know nothing about the numbers though i only heard that Obama was sending a whole lot of money to them
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The estimate is that the quake will cost Haiti 15% of its gross domestic product (GDP). The most recent GDP number I saw was $6.95 Billion US.

15% of that is more than a billion dollars. And just to give some perspective, 1Billion = 1,000,000,000. Minus $100 million from the US = 900,000,000 still to be covered.

I don't mean to seem pedantic...we just don't usually see so many zeroes written out and it's a bit mind-boggling, you know?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Sadly, the money will only be going to a very corrupt government. My worst fear is that they will rely on the greatness of all those offering aid and support to get them through the tragedy and then pocket the money, as they do with the billions of dollars we've sent there in years past. The government doesn't care enough to prevent these tragedies with the money given to them, but they hold their hands out now... waiting for more.

My heart goes out to the people, and I will do my part to ensure THEY are helped. I disagree with sending a HUGE sum of money with no strings attached.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The funny thing is History...pretty sure THAT is what Rush Limbaugh was saying. He was saying contribute to the red cross and such because THEY will help the PEOPLE. This money has no strings and there is no way of knowing if the people will get it at all :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• No Momof that is NOT what Rush was saying, he said don't give through the WH because Obama might steal your money, Roger Ebert wrote a great op ed to Rush... Joe Scarboro called him deplorable and dispicable.////EVER PAT Buchanen said he should just SHUT THE HELL up......but here you go defend to the end

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Limbaugh said the earthquake has played into Obama’s hands, allowing the president to look “compassionate” and “humanitarian” while at the same time bolstering his standing in both the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He added: “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”
    Limbaugh’s comments were, in part, a riff on Sen. Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) much publicized remark in a new book that Obama was able to win the election because he is “light-skinned” and lacks a “Negro dialect.”
    But regardless of the intended context, Limbaugh’s comments have been widely panned.
    “They are deeply insensitive,” said conservative commentator Pat Buchanan on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• “The president speaks for the country when he says we’re going to go in there,” he said. “You want your whole nation, and it’s very positive. And I think Rush’s comments were cynical.”

Sitting next to Buchanan on set, host Joe Scarborough called Limbaugh’s comments “deplorable.”

“The insensitivity is stunning,” said the former Republican congressman.

sweet-a-kins

• Limbaugh is a sick sick man.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• 9 Million in damage? That is way way off. A city of one million people has crumbled to the ground. Have you seen the pics??
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I honeslty don't watch the news because it allways makes me sad. SO I was really asking because I am uninformed and curious, and the question was based on something I heard on the radio or somewhere this morning.
    Thanks ladies!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010