what is the point on intentionally misspelling simple words

like wat and rite ryte dis.... it drives me nuts when a whole sentence contains several misspelled words. some of them takes me 5 minutes to decipher, then the person gets mad because i don't answer back right away, and its because i'm not sure of what they said.
should i tell them to type more clearly so i can understand or would that be too rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate this too! But then if I say something then Im being "catty" or rude. What really irks me is that these people are having children! How are they supposed to teach their kids proper grammar and spelling when they themselves dont do it?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• cuz itz fun?

drives me up the wall too.

the Z wasn't meant to be abused this way....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It is absolutely insane. I feel that if you can't spell properly how are you going to raise a productive member of society.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Ughhhhhhhhhhhh it annoys me soo much too! Especially DIS. I understand people talk like that when they are speaking but it is seriously necessary to spell it like that? I mean how much harder is it to type 1 more letter and spell it the right way? No I don't think it's rude to tell ppl to type more clearly. If they are looking for advice on here and are getting mad because they aren't getting any...maybe by letting them know it is hard to understand what they are saying will benefit them. But ugh I get really irritated of that too.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yep - it irritates me to NO end. I work for kgb_ - the text answering service. You would NOT believe some of the stuff I see!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Yes, it irritates me now that I am in college. I can't even text that way now because I read over my texts and fix my grammar and my punctuation. My teacher has been really good and enforcing that. I'm glad that I have English Comp 2 with her!! She is wonderful!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• its the new fashion, in keeping up with techonology like texting and iming and emailing...words have been abbreviated to no end. I understand why however....its rather quick to type.....I do it too...but via text...
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I can understand the "quickness" aspect of some words, but we always used "bc" as because, not cuz' (and bc is faster/shorter than cuz') ... the ones that really get me are dat, and da.... cuz dat aint .... GRRRR! I know I do the dots a lot .... and it drives people crazy too, lol.
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 7:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think the new mispelling is the new "Lets all be ignorant and laugh in the faces of educated people" FAD. People brag about not going to school and make sure they don't have any skills, just getting by. Really a scary thought. But I hear it all the time and read it here at CM.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• It's so annoying. I know people will say "well skip those posts," but then we are left with very few posts to actually read. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010