seriously need some advice

one of my friends is in the process of adopting a child and she's had him since the birth mother gave birth. she has legal gaurdianship but she needs to get a social security number for the baby does anyone know how to do that and if she needs the birth mothers info?

ashly2010

Asked by ashly2010 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Adoption

• Info from Social Security (ssa.gov):

"Social Security Number for a U.S.-Born Citizen Child (never had a number)

Regardless of age, anyone physically and mentally capable may sign an Application For A Social Security Card. To apply for a Social Security number:

* Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
    * Show us documents proving your child’s:
    o U.S. citizenship;
    o Age; and
    o Identity.
    * Show us proof of your identity.
    * Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office."

She'll need the birth certificate.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I just placed my son up for adoption last Monday and I filled out the paperwork for social security and they are going to send me his social security card and I will forward the card to his parents. Is her adoption an open adoption? If it is, she should contact the birth mother and ask her to forward the card to her.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I just went through this and it is not as easy as simply showing the birth certificate. You need the birth certificate with the legal name, a copy of the court order allowing the adoption which has to show the birthmoms information and your information. Then it takes a couple of weeks while they make sure that a ss number was not previously issued.

I would go to the closest SS office in your town and ask in person showing what you have to see if they can issue it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• PP is right (we had to do this just last year for our son). It can take a while. If you don't have the SS# by the time you need to file taxes, you'll have to ask the IRS for an ATIN (a temporary ID number), then amend both Federal and State after you get the SS#.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Jaydin.. I'm sorry hun but that is not how it works.

THEY have to with his adopted birth certificate... all that stuff you filled out you will never see...
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 5:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2010