haitti ?

I do not keep up with politics or the news, so I have a ?. I heard somewhere this morning that the estimated damage is aprox 9 million, but Obama is sending 100 million. Not counting all the other assistance. First let me say I am ALL FOR helping others!
But can some one please explaine to me the reason behind sending 10 x the amount of damage?
Or did I just miss hear?
Pardon my ignorance. :)

Thanks!!!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And the reason the amount is so high, OP, is that the entire country is in ruins. Infrastructure, what there was, homes, buildings, hospitals, everything. No water. No electricity. They are living in a pile of rubble surrounded by the stone ages.

Dragging them to even the 20th century is going to be expensive. Again, I hope the aid is overseen somehow. With all the chaos from the earthquake, and the general level of corruption that exists, I think there needs to be some oversight to make sure all the people are helped.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think you posted this already?

The damage estimate is in excess of one billion dollars.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I did :) I was just looking for a few more answers since it only got a few
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• The death toll is anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000. The hospitals have collapsed as has a jail that held 17,000 criminals. There is no water, no electricity. Their capital has collapsed as well...what are you talking about? If you want answers they are easy to find....what you posted is not true

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Since the 80's, the USA has sent Haiti about $93 billion. At that rate, Haiti should be the richest country in the Western hemisphere with building practices to match the wealth. There is (was) only about 9.5 million Haitians. $93 billion divided by 9.5 million means that dollar for dollar, each of those people should be millionaires. We just kept pouring good money after bad to some very corrupt people. They make some of our Congressional representatives (Rangle for instance) look like alter boys.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Since the 80's, the USA has sent Haiti about $93 billion. At that rate, Haiti should be the richest country in the Western hemisphere with building practices to match the wealth. There is (was) only about 9.5 million Haitians. $93 billion divided by 9.5 million means that dollar for dollar, each of those people should be millionaires.

Kind of like America? and how much we are spending in the middle east, can you give me the figures we have spent there?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• To date, the total cost of war that has been allocated by Congress is $1.05 trillion, with $747.3 to Iraq and $299 to Afghanistan. The numbers include both military and non-military spending such as reconstruction. Spending includes only incremental costs, those additional funds that are expended due to the war. For example, soldiers' regular pay is not included but combat pay is included. Potential future costs, such as future medical care for soldiers and veterans wounded in the war, are not included. These numbers do not account for the wars being deficit-financed or that taxpayers will need to make additional interest payments on the national debt due to these deficits.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Maybe Obama is buying the country so it can be run better.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Sweet: You can't compare the two issues. Haiti's $$ was to help improve that countries standard of living and the middle east is a war that has been going on since the 70's. I know you blame Bush for everything, but Carter actually helped get this all started and then there was Lebanon and Libya. We aren't sending money just to the people of the middle eastern area. We are fighting a war that is 40 years and counting. But, you just can't stick to one issue. You always do that "but someone else did this so that isn't bad" just like a little school girl.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2010