Secret Life of the American Teenager

I watched this show last year and I let my kids watch it. I figured it was a good lesson for my teenage son and daughter. This last episode it seemed like it was nothing but bed hopping. The abstinent girl seems to be ready to jump in bed or kiss any guy who comes her way. I am starting to believe this show is not really appropriate for my kids.

Do you let you kids watch this show? If so how old are they?
Do you go to church regularly?
Does your church give advice or guidance on television habit?
We are Catholic, I don't think I have heard the church say yes or no to any show.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was under the impression it was for one season and saw the recent previews and was disgusted. I said a loud to myself : That show has become a teenage soap opera and not really teaching anyone anything. It did the first season but now.. I will not watch it, I lost interest especially with their portrayal of christianity. Why not teach purity instead of oh its ok to have sex at every turn blah!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I myself still have young small children BUT when they are teenagers. I WOULD let them watch that show. and other shows like it. It really shows what happens when you have sex young, it doesn' show the teens REALLY having sex, but it shows what REALLY happens when you do things like that. I think it would be a good way to help show them to either wait OR to have safe sex. Just maybe watch an episode or two with them and ask them if they have any questions about it, or if they've done anything like that...ya know something along those lines. They are going to see it sooner or later, might as well be with you or in your house so you can explain how things really happen, instead of listening to their friends and peers.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 6:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I watch, but my kids don't. They are either watching their shows, or actually, they are in bed. I am usually getting them in bed when the show is on, and I DVR it. We do go to church, but they don't talk about sex, at least I have never heard this kind of conversation.
    As for my husband and I, we are fine and comfortable talking with our kids about sex, babies, and all that. Including cheating on someone. Although, it's only our 8 year old daughter that has any interest in that stuff. She probably knows more then a lot of other girls her age. But she asks questions, and I will NOT put her off. I figure if she's asking, she's old enough to get the answer. She hasn't seen anyone have sex, so she doesn't know all about that. But she knows that babies are made that way. Neither of our boys have asked anything, or made any comments. I don't want my kids hearing information from kids at school, because they may get more then cont.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• are ready for, or they will get the total wrong info. Especially since kids are into oral and anal sex because the girls can't get pregnant that way. It's crazy, and I don't want to say one day 'I wish I had talked with my kids more about this'.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• what i don't get is.....wtf does it have to do with religion.... why is it so dumbfounding that a christian would act like that? For one, its a tv show, so its not even really real. Its for ratings...its all about making money, do you think they are really worried religion? Let ppl be how they wanna be. if they say they are a christian but do not act like one in your eyes, than so be it. Who cares? not ur business. Stop worrying about what other ppl are doing, and how they are portraying themselves and concentrate what kind of christian you are.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 6:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Raine is exactly RIGHT
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 6:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• sexy can i, my religion does influence my life and what I teach about sex. If you do not agree with that, please feel free to skip the question. This section is called religion and there are parents who believe in monitoring their children's televisions habits.

This section is open to everyone to answer and ask question. Even rude people are allowed to be here they are also allowed to skip over a question.
    Anonymous

• Its not dumbfounding but its not teaching them anything either. Its teaching that sex is ok. What happened to saving yourself for that ONE that you want to be with for the rest of your life? It doesnt teach that in the show either. It glorifies sex and the consequences. It is also teaching that it is ok to break up and move on to another guy or cheating is ok. Is this what we want our children to grow up and learn? It does this with the teens and the adults... one big messy soap opera!

Chances are Raine that your children already hear stuff from school. My boys did at an early age. It was mind blowing that they knew more than I did at that age! Times have changed.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Shaneagle, I know my kids hear stuff about sex at school. I know they know a lot,but like you said this is just one big soap opera. Last week a widowed mother was talking about her daughter not having sex but she got caught in bed with her younger lover by his mother.

The first season was fine, it was a good learning tool, now it is just he wants her, she wants him lets get together and do it.

Anonymous

• i watch the show, its such a horrible, poorly written show thats its addicting..no idea how lol. as far as teaching kids, not even close, sure it will maybe make kids question things but thats about it..Im pretty young myself and i dont know anyone that acts like anyone in the show, everything is over dramatized...anyone else notice that?

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010