Homebirth... what's your opinon?

I'm planning my 2nd homebirth due in june and was wondering what others think about homebirths and midwives... please be kind! thanks!

Allisonmoymoy

Asked by Allisonmoymoy at 6:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• dangerous IMO
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think it's great. My mom had a homebirth and I know several other women who have had them as well. My husband is not quite on board with the idea so I will be giving birth in a birth center, hopefully in a few days here!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 6:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My mother gave birth to 8 out of her 10 babies at HOME! we are all healthy and well. Its only dangerous is your at high risk for something or youve had some problems with the pregnancy.
    I think it is a wonderful idea and Kudos to you for being so brave!!!!!!!!

: )
    BABYnME610

Answer by BABYnME610 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• mommymeg03 why do you think it's dangerous?
    Allisonmoymoy

Answer by Allisonmoymoy at 6:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Messy. I would be paranoid about having to clean it up! I will stick to the hospital but good for you for doing it your way. What ever works, the reward is great!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would LOVE to do a home birth. But I have alot of different things that make me high risk so I cant. I have considered however at least giving birth in a birthing center.
    I think home births are awesome, and MUCH more relaxing than hospital births. I dont think one is right or wrong over the other one. I think if you are more comfortable giving birth at home (or in a hospital) than do what YOU(woman in general, not you OP) are comfortable with!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Dangerous. I respect every mom's decision for herself and her children as long as it's an educated decision.
    My MIL is a labor and delivery nurse, I've heard the horror stories. Even in NORMAL HEALTHY pregnancies things go HORRIBLY wrong. I'm not saying a hospital can prevent this or even save everyone, but you have a MUCH higher chance of saving not only the baby, but the mother as well in a hospital setting.
    Prolapsed cord, if not in a hospital the baby is dead. Bleeds, severe tears, shoulder displasia, respiratory issues, etc. There are SO many things that can go wrong and do.
    I understand the need for a familiar setting and I understand those that would rather have no drugs and no interventions, but you can go all natural in a hospital and just bring some stuff to make you more comfortable, so what if you need a UHaul to get it all there and back?
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would love to do a homebirth, provided that I lived close enough to a hospital and had the right people and equipment there. At home, you can go at your own pace. You don't have to worry that if you're getting tired, someone will shoot you up with Pitocin or cut you open because you aren't pushing the baby out in time for dinner. They try to make people think that labor will just "stop". Our bodies are smarter than we give them credit for, and I don't think it possible for labor to just stop. I understand that there are circumstances where those procedures are necessary, but that's not always the case. They should only be necessary in critical conditions IMO. There isn't a right or wrong way, it's all in what you're comfortable with. These are just my opinions.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• because you can not predict the many things that can go wrong in child birth - I had an emergency c -section due to my son's heart rate dropping drastically, and was told it was good they got him out as quick as they did or he may not have made it, what do you do if something like this happens at home instead of in a hosp
    again - just my opinion
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i think that they are wonderful.
    i think that we should be more like europe when it comes to childbirth. you don't have an ob present unless you are high risk. ob's are surgeons first. that is what they learn first and they treat pregnancy like a disease or illness, which it is not.
    i was hoping to have a homebirth this time, but not able. i've have told dh that after this, i will be having homebirths. he's agreed to it. lol
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010