What are grounds for taking my 8 month old to the E.R.?

I've answered this question for others, but now that I'm experiencing it, my own advice isn't coming to mind. My daughter is congested (I can feel her lungs rattling when she breathes in) runny nose, discharge coming from eyes, slight cough. She feels warm but I can't find the thermometer anywhere, I'm going to go to the store for a new one. The babysitter said it's common from teething, but I don't want this to turn into pneumonia. Advice please?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 6:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put your ear to her chest, if it sounds like noise is ocming from her chest when she is breathing not from her stuffy nose go ahead and take her in - it may end up being nothing, but better to be safe
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Grounds are whatever you see fit...does your pedi have nurses on call that answer after hours? Call them and tell them the symptoms, they may suggest to bring her in anyway...otherwise take her or wait til morning and go to pedi as a walk in. try tylenol or motrin to see if it helps any! Ive never heard of caughing or congestion from teething, only slight fever!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i would def. say get the thermometer and check the temp. if its high or abnormally so, take her in to the er. i mean its better to be safe than sorry.but if it isnt really high and you are still a little worried, make an appt with her pediatrician. mostly they tell you for younger babies with colds not to give them medicine but to sit in a bathroom with steam and make sure plenty of liquids have been given, etc. i have however used baby tylenol, just smaller doses than what was called for. but good luck to you!!
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I say always go with your gut if you don't like the way she sounds then it is best to take her in especially if she is wheezing, I would take her in just to be safe and I hope your little one feels better soon, I hate it when the babies get sick like that:(
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I'm in the military so unfortunately, she doesn't have one pediatrician. She has whomever they assign her when I make an appointment. She has a well-baby appointment on Thursday, but I'm afraid that may be too long to let this go. My only option is to take her in the E.R., but the military one is horrible because they make you feel like you shouldn't be there, no matter what you're there for. I'm probably going to take her in anyway, my gut is telling me that it could turn into something serious. Thank you ladies so much for your advice!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My son had the same symptoms. But he started breathing really fast. The first time I took him to the ER (nurse's advice) he had all the symptoms, and was coughing more than once in five minutes. They sent me home telling me he had a cold and he would get over it. 2 docs visits and an another er visit they ambulanced him to children's for bronchiolitis, and he was on oxygen for 3 days, hospitalized for 4. If your baby starts breathing hard, fast, or you can see her ribs going in deep when she breathes. You need to take her in asap. Look for blue lips, white finger tips, etc. You are her mom, who cares if people think you are crazy. I am sure they thought I was crazy..but I know my baby! Turns out, I was right.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 7:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• how long has this been an issue? i would ride it out at home a lttle while and see if there is improvement. sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running to aid the breathing. if she is breastfeeding, then keep her to the breast as much as possible. if she is feeling bad already, why rush her to the er where she will be exposed to God knows what other germs that she is extra vulnerable to now.
    good luck, it is so hard when our little ones struggle
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• She's had a runny nose on and off for the past week, but the congestion in her lungs and discharge from her eyes started this morning.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My rule of thumb..if you THINK you need to see a doctor, you need to see a doctor. At least for your own peace of mind.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Mother's instinct knows best. If you really feel like she needs to go the ER, then I would never tell you to go against your gut. More times than not, mother's are right about when they feel something is wrong with their baby. Worst case scenerio, its nothing and you feel "stupid." That's way better than finding out too late than she should have seen a doctor right?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010