Question about breastfeeding for a friend

My friend has a 5week old and she will be returning to work in a few weeks. She needs to pump milk so he will have bottles during the day and she will nurse when she is at home. Right now she can't make hardly any milk while pumping (but plenty while nursing). I know that pumping is different than just nursing, but she has to get milk while pumping for when she starts back to work. Any suggestions on how to be able to pump more??

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 7:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell her that #1... it depends on the type of pump. I suggest the Medela Pump In Style. It is he number one pump recommended by hospitals and you can pump both breasts at once.
    #2. Try to take a picture of baby, sometimes that can help in the let down.
    #3. Take something that smells like baby - a blanket, stuffed toy or something. That can also trigger the let-down.
    Hope that helps!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Along with all the PP's ideas, she needs to drink LOTS of water. Im trying to relactate and Ive found that drinking water along with juice and gatorade helps.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• First off, like PP said, she needs a good pump if she's going to be working full time and pumping a lot. It could run her around $300, but it's still cheaper than formula in the long run.

Secondly, normal pumping output is 0.5 - 2 oz total (not just one side) per pumping session. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's normal. Also keep in mind that baby only needs 1 - 1.25 oz per hour of separation, so that's only 8 - 10 oz for an 8-hr day.

The most pumping output I ever had was when I pumped on one side while nursing on the other, especially first thing in the morning. Doing that, I would get 3 - 4 oz from one side instead of maybe 1 - 2 oz from both sides together. If she can do that on both sides once in the morning and once at night, that might even cover what she'll need for a day, but she should still pump at work every 2 - 3 hrs to keep up her supply.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Thanks ladies, great info! I will definitely pass everything on to her!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• one way is to pump while she nurses. she needs 1 ounce for every hr she is gone.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• More tips: feed on one side while baby nurses the other, pump in the mornings between four and eight, massage the breast while pumping. Have her take a look at this video:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2010