Should Catholics that agree with the teachings of Rome be in the ER?

BREAKING-Martha Coakley: Devout Catholics ‘Probably Shouldn’t Work in the Emergency Room’by Jim Hoft
“You can have religious freedom but you probably shouldn’t work in the emergency room.”

Democrat Martha Coakley was on with Ken Pittman from WBSM in Massachusetts today. Martha told Ken that if you object to abortion and are a devout Catholic then…
“You probably shouldn’t work in the emergency room.”

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 7:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• LINK

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 7:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• i'm not catholic, but pro-life..and i would still consider it a personal call..(didn't read the link, though)..as far as coakley..blehhh!

:)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• They do abortions in the emergency room now? huh.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Martha Coakley. Patients have to feel they can talk to health care workers especially after traumatic experiences like rape without being judged. Its very important that patients feel they can talk openly to nurses and doctors. Most hospitals have some kind of policy where someone who is a conscientious objector can have another employee talk to the patient without the patient feeling they are being shunned. If the facility does not have a policy and you really object to these procedures you have to decide if you want to work some where else. This can't be put on the patient.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You cannot take the human factor out of the emergency room or any other aspect of life and I think it can get very silly when we try.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• anonymous, I don't think this is all about abortion.

Personally, I am could argue both sides of this. I don't know which way I say on this. How easy would it be to help burn victims, falls, or serious infections and leave the emergency abortions to other nurses? Doctors can do it I don't see why nurses can't
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 7:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• here is the interview

"You can have religious freedom but you shouldn't work in an emergency room." - Martha Coakley

Ken Pittman: Right, if you are a Catholic, and believe what the Pope teaches that any form of birth control is a sin. ah you don't want to do that.

Martha Coakley: No we have a seperation of church and state Ken, lets be clear.

Ken Pittman: In the emergency room you still have your religious freedom.

Martha Coakley: (......uh, eh...um..) The law says that people are allowed to have that. You can have religious freedom but you probably shouldn't work in the emergency room.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I think that was a very ignorant statement for Martha Coakly to make.

I'm catholic but am still pro-choice. I also believe in euthanasia for the clinically brain dead.

Anonymous

• I don't think Martha Coakly was trying to tell Catholics or anyone else who opposes abortions not to work in the ER. She was saying yes we have freedom of religion but you also have to decide for yourself if you are willing to work in an area that conflicts with your religious beliefs. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My devout Catholic Mother worked as an ER nurse for 40 yrs...

...at a Catholic hospital...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2010