How do i deal w/ a 2 year old temper?

I have a litlle problem w/ my 2 year old. Of course i know its the terrible twos but i feel bad when he goes to someone elses house and starts to act out. When he is at home he has a naught chair, i tell everyone else that they should do the same at their homes but they dont. After he comes from other peoples house they tell me that he hits, and when he doenst get his way he goes crazy. I dont know what to do. Do i just have him stop going to these peoples homes?

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are right about the time outs...and at other peoples homes, it needs to be done too. Consistency is key to any form of discipline!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Reference Article : Taming Tempers
    Parents expect temper tantrums from 2-year-olds, but angry outbursts don’t .... temper tantrums how to deal with a meltdown, the early years 35, tantrums, ...
    www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Taming_Tempers/ -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Heck! Even the childcare at my gym uses timeout!

If you feel comfortable with it, take his chair with him. Put it in a corner and ask the other mom to use it or to call you to come get him. Then, in front of the other mom, tell him that he is to obey the other mom or he will be put in timeout or sent home. When you come to pick him up, ask the other mom how he did WHILE HE LISTENS. He needs to know that you guys are on the same page and are sharing information.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I think that you should explain ( I know, but I "explain" things to my two yr old, and she understands)(AFTER A WHILE) that you cannot treat other ppl with disrespect. What I do with my daughter is that I use her stuffed animals as examples, and when she is playing with them and throws them or they fall off a table..ect...I will say "poor bear" and explain that you have to treat other things with respect or they wont want to play with you. Same thing when she doesn't get what she wants and throws a fit...I get down on her level and calm her down and explain to her why she cannot have what she wants (the exact reason) and that it's disrespectful to throw a fit b/c only bad kids do that, and that she's not a bad kid.Hopefully you can try and it helps. I also give her an example of what a good kid does (says sorry, helps mom clean up, or chooses something she is allowed to do.) I do the same thing every time, and it will finally click with them after a while.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 7:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I found this on a great site!

Don't try to rationalize or argue with a toddler. If he's screaming over a cookie, forget about that Oreo. Once you've hit tantrum ground zero, the cookie is no longer the focus of the problem -- controlling the situation takes center stage, Dr. Broughton says.

Put your toddler in a safe place -- his crib or playpen, for example -- and walk away for a minute. This will help your child calm down and soothe himself, as well as take him away from the temptation that spurred the tantrum.

When things are calmer, pick him up and carry on with your day. Whatever you choose to do, don't fork over that cookie. That would render the tantrum a success.

After some trial and error, your toddler will eventually learn that throwing tantrums won't get him what he wants, Dr. Broughton says.

site is http://www.parents.com/toddlers/development/behavioral/why-are-toddlers-so-moody/?page
    Littlem72

Answer by Littlem72 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• best answer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2008