Anyone have experience with Focal Febrile Seizures in infants?

My son, at the time 5 months, recently had one over the holidays and was hospitalized. They did an EEG which had "abnormal results including occasional multifocal sharp waves that are assocaited with epileptic seizures but are not diagnostic. clinical correlation is advised". This was written on the EEG report, but never told to me. I had to read it in the mailed copy. Does anyone have any experience with this or have more info? My pedi said she was uncomfy without a second opinion so we have to see a pediatric neurologist soon so I was hoping to do my homework beforehand! Thanks!!

FoxyRoxyMommy

Asked by FoxyRoxyMommy at 7:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know how scary it is for your child to have seizures you should definately look into it more... my 2 kids have just Febrile seizures and everytime they check them for everything and all the results come out normal its just that their fever spiked up so fast .... i find it awkward that they didnt tell you the results clearly! they are so unprofessional! next time something like thats happens dont forget to ask them that you want to know exactly the results not like this last time they didnt ... after you tell them that they should listen because you could actually file a lawsuit against them ! good luck.....
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 8:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• my youngest has a seizure disorder. what kind of seizure? was it an absence one (staring off into the distance with no reactions) or a full on shaking seizure (the correct term escapes me right now...)

from what that says I'd think that YES there are some abnormalities, but its not diagnosable as epilepsy. consulting with a pediatric neurologist is the best option.

there are many facets of epilepsy and seizures. my dd's is undiagnosed - she's been having them since she was 1 (she's 3.5 now). her seizures are different every time - the full on grand mal type, and the absence.

any other questions feel free to message me.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• A child can have a seizure without an underlying medical condition related to seizures...such as epilepsy, tumors etc.. They are most often due to fevers. However, some children, like my son, have seizures related to sleep disorders. The report is basically saying..yeah we see some seizure activity but the character is questionable as to its origin. See another neurologist. We had to find a neuro that specialized in certain kinds of disorders to even find out why my son was having them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• MY DD HAD A FEBRILE SEIZURE WHEN SHE WAS 13 MONTHS, DUE TO A FEVER SPIKING RAPIDLY. SURPRISED THE NEUROLOGIST DID NOT SCHEDULE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT WITH YOU TO DISCUSS THE RESULTS AND GAME PLAN. IF YOU LIVE CLOSE TO A CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL THAT WOULD BE WHERE I WOULD START AND STAY FOR A NEUROLOGIST OR SECOND OPINION. THEY WILL PROBABLY ORDER A SLEEP STUDY AS WELL AS ANOTHER EEG, IF THE EEG SHOWS PRON TO SEIZURES OR ANOTHER OCCURS THEY WILL PRESCIBE MEDS. KEEP IN MINE THAT NEUROLOGIST AND ANY SPECIALTY DOCTOR ARE HARD TO COMMUNICATE WITH---BUT MAKE THEM EXPLAIN UNTIL YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. GOOD LUCK!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• thanks ladies! it was hard to describe a lot on here, but the hospital where he was seen is nowhere near where we live unfortunately. i was at home during the holidays where we were lucky enough to be close to Arkansas Children's Hospital, but now i have to drive 3+ hrs to see this pediatric neurologist. so lack of continuity of care is an understatement in this case, i wish i could have stayed near the children's hospital to get more answers from those who treated him. i dont think he has any permanent or lasting seizure issues, but i just want to rule every possible thing out so that later i have no regrets as a mommy. the weird thing is his fever wasn't even that high. it was only 103.4 and although its high, all the docs were thrown off. i know even a fever of 101 can cause seizures, but there's zero history in our families so it has everybody guessing. i too was hoping for more follow up care. glad my thoughts are shared!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 11:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010