Quenching cigarette cravings during pregnancy withOUT actually smoking??

I quit smoking right after I found out I was pregnant in July and had no problems whatsoever kicking the habit. I was really proud of myself and I definitely realized how gross the habit really is (IMO!). I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant and for the last few weeks, I've had HORRIBLE cravings for a cigarette almost non-stop. It is starting to drive me insane. I refuse to let myself light up again, even/especially after my baby comes and I KNOW I have the willpower to be smoke-free. But is there any way to get rid of the cravings safely while pregnant and/or breastfeeding?? I'm not exactly sure but I don't think the gums or patches would help since I'm not having actual nicotine withdrawals? Also, any theories on why I'm craving cigarettes NOW versus when I first quit? That has me stumped!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you could sniff the toilet bowl each time you crave for a cigarette....
    Anonymous

• Gum. Anything oral. Lollipops, etc.
    Anonymous

• Strong, minty gum.

Good luck momma.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Cinnamon gum helps and Twizzlers for some reason. Also taking deep breaths. It's been way over a year since I've smoked and I still get cravings. I also think I mistake my anxiety for cigarette cravings, but the breathing helps. Stay strong, you can do it!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• exhale as if you are smoking, it is supposed to be soothing and relaxing. cinnamon altoids are good!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I used freezy pops, I ate sooo many of them a day for a while, but it kept me from smoking while prego.
    good luck!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• just imagine your baby surrounded in toxins.. that should help ya ;)
    Anonymous

• I agree with nicolemstacy- deep breaths help a lot.. take a "fresh air" break instead of a smoke break and just go outside, look around, and take some deep breaths. I also stocked up on dumdums for a while.. yum! Good luck!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Already lots of things to substitute given. I stopped smoking for 8 years and the cravings never seemed to really go away. They were def. worse the week before my period when hormones are crazy. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• sunflower seeds...suckin on the shells and everything...its addictive as smoking.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2010