Making hair grow?

My dd had a head full of black hair when she was born well she is now six months old and it has all fallen out and is now being replaced with strawberry blond very fine hair. Is there any way to get her hair to grow better? If I am not careful it will stand up all over the place and she looks like alfalfa from the little rascals. she has cowlicks everywhere just like her daddy. I wash her hair at least every other day to try to encourage new growth and never put any oil or lotion on her hair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ladies!!!

lilyemama

Asked by lilyemama at 9:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nothing u go will encourage it to grow any faster. hair growth is about genetics and nutrition.
    Anonymous

• Let me know if you find your answer because my son was born with thick hair on the back of his head and that has all fallen out and he is still bald and is now 5 months old. There is a tiny bit of hair growing but not much so I've been massaging his head when I wash it as well thinking that might encourage some hair to grow, but I haven't had much luck either.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Just let it be. It will change as she gets older. Nothing you do will really make any difference. Sorry!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• for adults, a high protein diet will make hair grow faster, but I really doubt any parent would be that vain that they would put their child on a diet like that just for hair.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your suggestions. I just wondered if there were any things that people had heard over the years. I would never change her diet with out the approval of her pedi. she was 2 months early and I have not even put her on cereal yet until he says it is okay to do so I am hoping that he will ok it when she goes for her 6 month check up in a week. Thanks again for the help.
    lilyemama

Answer by lilyemama at 9:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You can't do anything to change the biological time clock of hair. Hair is on a genetic cycle of growth. It has a growing phase, a resting phase, and a fallout phase. It is what it is. That's why some people have hair that grows to the floor and another person can barely grow hair to their shoulder blades. Don't wash her hair so much, the chemicals in shampoos and conditioners damage hair. Plain water will do you fine. When you strip away all the natural oils that are meant to protect the hair you create problems. Let it be. As any good stylist will tell you, hair behaves better when it is NOT freshly washed for that reason. Food will improve the health of hair by nourishing it, but it wont change anything else.

oh, I suggest skipping the cereal. It tastes horrid and has little nutritional value and the extra iron can cause constipation. Stick to fruits and veggies
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Both of my kids were born bald, I was born bald , Dh was born bald. He and I did not get hair until we were TWO and oldest DD did not get hair until 1 1/2 . I dont think there is anything you can do. He is just a baby his hair will grow when its ready
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I can give you a suggestion on the standing up part but hair will grow when it grows. My daughter didnt have much hair when she was born but it is really growing now (10.5 months old). Well, after her bath, I take a baby brush and brush it down when it is still a bit wet and usually it will not stand up as bad the next day.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2010