recipe

I'm having a friend over for dinner on sunday and she is vegetarian- normally I buy a pack of veggie burgers and cook those up and she adds any sides that I have made with the rest of our dinner- this time I want to make something different but being that my husband, my kids, and I eat meat I don't know what to do- do any of you haver any good recipes that I can make meat optional? like something that I can make the meat on the side and let everyone choose if they want to add the meat or not? thanks

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• All sorts of Mexican food is good, like tacos, you assemble them yourself and beans are a great sub or addition to meat. Homemade black bean burgers are so good you might not miss the meat. I have vegetarians in my family and we always just make one of each, like a veggie lasagna and a meat lasagna.
    ThePinkRobot

Answer by ThePinkRobot at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/002002moms_pasta_primavera.php

My MIL is a veg, and she loves this..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/California-Grilled-Veggie-Sandwich/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brick-Oven-Pizza-Brooklyn-Style/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Colorful-Vegetable-Fajitas/Detail.aspx

Sorry I couldn't make them links, you'll have to copy and paste. But these are a few options that you could easily add meat to. The first you could use some turkey or ham, deli sliced. The second you could add whatever meat you would normally add to you pizza, just leave half with no meat, or buy individual pizza crusts and then let everyone make their own. Buy toppings like pepperoni, Canadian bacon, pineapple, mushrooms, olives, peppers, artichoke hearts, spinach, anything you can imagine. And the third, you could easily adjust any fajita recipe to have meat as an option. Or you can check out more options on the same website that these are on..
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• You could do a veggie lasagna - like a 5 cheese lasagna. With garlic bread and salad!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• My first thought was also the taco bar idea. see what kinds of beans she likes best.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 10:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• megs to make it a link use the full editor, hilight the portion you want to become your link then tap the chain link symbol... paste your link into the box and you're done.

BTW- the pp's sites a re a great resource. I'm a veg too.. just follow her links.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• http://www.recipezaar.com/tuscan-vegetarian-pasta-392763

This recipe is DELICIOUS.  Just make some chicken diced up or shrimp and then you can add it if you'd like.  

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I would make fettichini(can't spell sorry)alfredo, with garlic bread and a ceaser salad.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• We don't eat meat; it is very easy to swap tofu (tofu also costs less and is healthier) for meat in stir-fries and other recipes. Other meat alternatives are seitan (store boutght, or easy to make at home), tempeh, beans, lentils, etc.
    This is a very kid-friendly recipe: I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently

Contact me offlist for more ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2010