Old computers to blame!!

A big reason why the government is inefficient and ineffective is because Washington has outdated technology, with federal workers having better computers at home than in the office.

This startling admission came Thursday from Peter Orszag, who manages the federal bureaucracy for President Barack Obama.

Link for the rest of the article:
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/75965-white-house-blames-inefficient-government-on-outdated-technologies

So, is this a valid excuse? With the cost of computers what they are, and the amount of spending done by the WH, and as computer savvy as this administration is, who actually believes this?

29again

Asked by 29again at 10:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If they focused on saving money instead of sqaundering it then they would have extra money for computers. They can stay home and use their nice computers. They can communicate at home and meet once or twice a week. So many people have fax machine, webcams, chats I don't see why they think anyone with half a brain would buy it. They never seem to be able to come up with many good solutions.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• True? probably Good excuse? No
    The problem with working for government is how budgets are handled. It's easier to get approval for a billion dollar widget nobody's ever heard of than it is to get approval for post-its. The people who review budgets don't know what the widget is, and they take your word for it when you say you need one. They know what a post-it is, and have their preconceived idea about how a post-it should and should not be used. They will disapprove your request for new post-its if they feel you do not "need" them. Now figure how many members of budget committees know what a computer is, but have no concept of increasing tech or security. And they get final say on whether or not offices "need" new ones or can just keep fixing the ones they have.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• NP, I understand what you are saying....But, didn't he win the election with the help of FB and Twitter and all that? These guys really know computers, so I would think they would be all over getting the best there for themselves. Or is that giving them too much credit?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• I have trouble buying this. My husband has gotten new computers for all of his people twice in the last 4 years. They also get new Blackberry's almost every year.

I totally understand what you are saying NP, I just think this isn't happening at some of the levels.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Ooooh, did the politicians come up with yet another excuse as to why they suck?

Color me shocked. No, it does NOT explain the inefficiency and waste, it explains SOME of the long hold times you deal with when if you have the misfortune to actually have to contact a federal office. Of course, that could also be a staffing issue..
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Who's fault would that be, they have OUR money to spend on marsh rats, airports for one of their kids and a bridge to know where... Sounds like an excuse to me, they spare no expense on their jets, sneakers or purses, or ANYTHING at all that THEY deem necessary, now do they? And why should they, we pay for ALL of their crap!!! UGH!!!  Truth be known they probably have Mac Book Pros, they just choose to leave them at home...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't know why. They don't mind spending $300 for a hammer. Why not spend, I don't know, double that and get a computer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As everyone knows, computers (and related technology) are only as "smart" as the people who input the data/information!!!

'nuff said!!!!!!! LOL! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I just think this isn't happening at some of the levels.

No, it really probably is. I saw it when I had to do gov't budgeting, and a friend of mine sees it today - he's in a state IT department. He's told them repeatedly over the past 2 years, if they don't upgrade their storage space it will be full by a certain year. They keep putting it off, not realizing the work that goes into making a major change like that to an entire state-wide network. They probably won't approve it until the day they all come into work and their computers take 5 minutes to open an email, at which point they will call him screaming to fix it and throw a hissy when he tells them it's because they're out of space, need to upgrade equipment, and will have to deal with it for a month.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Whatever, I just know that my military hubby has always had state of the art stuff. Our computers at home are dinosaurs compared to the stuff he has at work. He is even provided a lap top that he hauls around everywhere. He has a special Blackberry that is supposed to be secure enough to use for sensitive info..............AND you should see the gadgets in his office. His touch screen computer goes to a regular monitor and a tv/monitor combo thing that is 50" wide.

I do think it depends upon the level/department of government. Not all levels and departments are behind the times.

This being said, I do think if they have money to build tunnels for turtles to cross the road and study why gay men have unprotected sex when they are drunk....then they have money to upgrade to efficiency.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2010