Doc says my son is underweight

Our doctors says my son is underweight, he weighs 29.2 pounds he is 3, but he is 40 inches tall, and he eats all the time, he is just active, and runs it off, the doc says give him pedisure, but he hates it and wont drink it, he does not like ice cream, his main foods that he likes is hot dogs and french fries, and chicken nuggets. Does anyone have adice to put some weight on my little guy.

got2boys

Asked by got2boys at 11:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think he's underweight. Just skinny. As long as he eats a balanced diet then just leave him be.
    My oldest daughter was only 26lbs when she was 3. At 5 she was 40" tall and 32lbs so not that much bigger then your son (but very small for a 5yo). She's almost 10 now and only weighs 45lbs and I refuse to "fatten her up". There's nothing wrong with her. She eats pretty healthy, loves her veggies and usually has a pretty good variety of healthy, fatty and junk food (with obviously more healthy stuff then the others).
    My youngest daughter was 38" and 30lbs when she turned 3 and perfectly normal. She's now like 40" and 33lbs or something like that. She's tall and skinny and normal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• First, the doctor should have referred you to a nutritionist or dietician. Second, loading your child with junkfood is stupid. Fill his diet with a variety of heathy foods, including healthy fats (avocado, sunflowerseed butter, flax oil, egg yolk, etc.).

Here is a fun snack you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (any nut, or soy sor sunflower seed)
    2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    2 Tbsp. milk
    1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid if neede

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• To get him to drink the Pediasure, make sure it is ICE cold. It tastes a lot better. Also, call a nutritionist for meal and snack help. My son was off the charts skinny and tiny but he was growing on a nice curve. The doc had me do the Pediasure or Kid essentials. I also gave my son lots of carbs and hid veggies as much as possible. My son is now 13 and back on the charts and growing like a weed. As long as your son is healthy, he should catch up. Just wait, puberty will hit and he will gain weight and height at an extremely fast rate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• thank you all for your advise it make more at ease, I wil try the recipe for sure thank u
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 4:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2010