what to do?

I had a baby 4 months ago. My life wasn't together, Wasnt working or in school. I signed over legal gaurdianship to a lady that i've know practically all my life. I'm on my feet now and am able to take care of this child but she say's I can't have him back and she is going to fight me in court to try and prove I am unfit and the baby should stay with her and her husband. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do. Any advice would be helpful.

ashly2010

Asked by ashly2010 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Adoption

• Well legal guardianship isn't parental rights so if you really feel like you need to fight for the baby the courts will most likely grant you custody. But this could get ugly, be aware of that.
    Anonymous

• You need to take her to court to get your child back if you are sure you are able to parent. It is going to cost you quite a bit of time and possibly money (if you end up needing an attorney) When you filled out the guardianship paperwork, was there an ending date or a stipulation to it (ie "until I have a stable living environment" or something like that)? If there is, it should be alot easier. If it was open ended, the court battle might drag out but I would assume that you will win your child back in the end.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As an adoptive mother this really irks the crap out of me... How dare she try to take your child!! Get an attorney and fight for your little one.. if you are able to parent that baby, you have every single right in the world to do so. You are the biological mother- your child should be with you..period.

Good luck!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• if you just signed over guardenship, you can revoke that at any time. Just go get your baby!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Does this have anything to do with the previous question? Because its interesting you would ask a question about a friend having guardianship then this question..hmmmm
    Anonymous

• Legal Aid might be an option if you can't afford an attorney. Just be aware that you won't get the same kind of service you'd get if you were paying for a private attorney (I am speaking from experience). Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Interesting that in 5 short hours, she went from having a friend who needed a social security number for a child to being the birthmother of a child in the same situation. Which is it, are you the birthmother or the friend?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I HAVE A BRO IN LAW THAT WORKS FOR CPS... BUT KNOWS ABOUT THAT TYPE OF STUFF TOO.. HE SAID THAT YOU MUST GO TO THE NEAREST POLICE STATION FILE A REPORT AND EXPLAIN EVERYTHING AND IF YOU HAVE A COPY OR THE ORIGINAL PAPER YOU SIGNED SHOW IT TO THE OFFICER WHEN YOUR WRITTING A REPORT AN DTELL THEM YOU WANT TO TAKE HER TO COURT AND FIGHT FOR FULL CUSTODY OF YOUR CHILD...THEN THEY WILL TELL YOU FROM THERE..THE ONLY THING IS THAT IF THE PAPER YOU SIGNED DIDNT SAY YOU WERE LEAVING YOUR CHILD WITH HER TEMPORARILY ! THEN THERE MIGHT BE A PROB. AND ITS GOING TO COUNT AS A POINT FORE THE LADY YOU GAVE YOUR CHILD TO... GOOD LUCK
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 7:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• YOUR GONNA HAVE TO PROVE YOU ARE CAPEABLE OF SUSTAINING A FAMILY & YOUR SELF ....
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 7:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2010