Not sure when to apply for FASFA...

I plan on going to college in the fall but I don't know if its too early to apply for it or if I should enroll in the college first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in

• Enroll first. You have to be actually enrolled before you are even available for a grant.

Then you can talk with the financial department, and they can help you with filing all the information that's needed.
    XxBWxX

Answer by XxBWxX at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• you have to apply and get accepted first then you fill out the fasfa.
    Anonymous

• i filled out the fafsa first and it didn't really make any difference. you have to know what school you want your info sent to though. mine was a community college so there wasn't much chance of not getting accepted. so i guess it just depends.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You have to wait until you complete your taxes to file the FAFSA. You do not need to be accepted to a school to apply, but you do need to know the school code. Just an FYI, the FAFSA is NOT grants, scholarships, etc. it is the federal application for student aid, it tells you what you MAY recieve. Check with the school you want to attend to see what their financial aid app deadline is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It's based on your taxes. You don't have to be enrolled in school. In fact, my financial aide told me that if you wait too long, you won't be able to get it. I'd do it before I was enrolled in school.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You can fill it out at any time. The deadline is March 2 (supposedly) for the fall semester. It is better if you've done your taxes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• First you have to enroll in school. Then, you can sign up for your FAFSA online or go to the financial aid department at the college.

They suggest you apply for your FAFSA at least 2-3 months in advance, that way, you can know exactly what you're getting for school (money, book vouchers, etc) before the semester starts.

Good luck!
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• The sooner the better. The later you turn it in, the less that's available. Most states have a deadline early in the year, and if you miss it, you aren't eligible for any state aid or scholarships.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Go ahead & file it as soon as you get your taxes done. There is a deadline for federal aid, but there is also a deadline for each state. If you want to be eligible for aid from both federal & state, you need to do it before both deadlines. I can't remember what the federal deadline is, but I know for my state (Indiana), it is March 10. I usually get our taxes done in mid-February so I apply at the end of Feb.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• File as soon as you get your taxes done, preferably before March As pp said, FAFSA just tells you what you may be eligible for, in the end the school you attend will affect your financial aid. If you are low enough in the income bracket, all schooling will essentially get paid for somehow. The main thing to remember: financial aid is first come, first served. The sooner you get everything filed, the more likely you are to get the aid you need.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010