almost 2 and not talking

Hello, my son is almost two he will be two in april. He is not talking, he may say mama and dada but not sure if he knows what he is saying. He babbles like crazy! we know what he wants without talking so that might be the problem and we are trying to work on that. He is very smart, loves to play, smiles, plays with other kids...etc. i dont feel like anything is wrong. Im just wondering if anyone had a two year old that didnt talk, but started talking at there own pace and everything was fine??? he was also 2 months early so i dont know if that could be why.
just wondering thanks, he is going to see a specialest in FEB. just to make sure everything is ok.

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son wasn't talking much at that age either. Now, at 4 1/2 he won't stop talking. He really got into it after he turned 2. I guess he didn't have much to say before that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Had the same problem 3 yrs ago. my son didn't talk not until 3 1/2. we were so concerned about it. i brought him to the public health & got his ears check, they learned that he is not responding to a high pitch voice. they recommended us to go to a speech therapist(your local school can provide 1). Then I just constantly read to him everyday. i spend 2 hrs reading to him.i bring him to the library 3 times a week.He has his theraphy in school twice a week and the speech therapist adviced me that don't give what he wants not until he try to say it. And no baby talk.
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 11:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• cont.....

then when he turned 4 he can fluently read a book ny himself (those Dick & JAne books. really help.) and now his 6 yrs old in Grade 1. I hope this doesn't sound bashing but he is the youngest in class but his one of the smartest too.
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 11:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Just say words to him over and over, and see if he mimics. As long as you talk to him a lot, and if he is in daycare make sure they talk to him as well it is alright though especially being premature.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It really depends and without spending time with the child I can't say. But I will say that you may want to observe the following to discuss with the specialist:
    Does h have more difficulty than other children with transitioning from one activity to the next?
    Does he have any obsessive repetitive behaviors? (i.e. pill rolling with hands, rocking, tracing, etc.)
    Does he have particularly violent tantrums?
    Does he tend to block out communication from others? Not deliberate ignoring, but does he seem unaware of others' attempts to communicate?
    Does he seem to get highly agitated or frustrated when he is attempting to communicate or asked to communicate?
    Does your gut tell you something is up?

Alot of these are going to be difficult to distinguish, but just watch him with other kids his age or talk to daycare providers about anything they may have noticed so you can tell the specialist. I'll keep y'all in my prayer
    MelaSparks

Answer by MelaSparks at 12:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Some kids are late talkers, especially boys. Alot of boys don't talk much til almost 3. I wouldn't worry yet.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I'm glad to see that you have an appointment with a specialist in February. Anytime a parent has concerns about their child I would recommend a call to early intervention. A developmental evaluation is never going to hurt a child, only help if any concerns do show up. It may be nothing, but if it is then it's nice to set your fears at ease.

Answer by missanc at 11:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• my son didn't talk till after 2, give it time! I was so worreid too. Now he talk, but sometimes i don't understand a word he says! lol
    Anonymous