Different Formulas??? Please Help

I have been brestfeeding since my daughter has been born 4 months ago. But with my busy life i put her on Similac Advanced Early Shield to. But ever since than she has been spitting up and alot of gas. So the doctor told me to try another formula. Which i started her on that this morning its called Similac (something with less spitting up and gas) After giving it to her i was reading it more and it said SOY based? Is it bad that im feeding my daughter both formula's plus breastfeeding her. Please help i dont want it to hurt her

pennstatemama21

Asked by pennstatemama21 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it would hurt her necessarily. A lot of moms supplement formula while they're still breastfeeding. You might want to choose one formula or the other though because I've heard some babies don't adjust well to going back and forth.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Formulas tend to make babies spit up a lot. It's just the nature of the beast.

Are you having trouble pumping enough milk in your absence? there are ways to increase pumping output in less time. Or you could always look into getting milk from a milk bank.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

Are you having trouble pumping enough milk in your absence? there are ways to increase pumping output in less time. Or you could always look into getting milk from a milk bank.........................

Yea i cant pump worth anything.. It takes me like 15 mins for 2 oz for some reason but when im breastfeeding her it goes faster. Ill pass on the milk bank thats not right
    pennstatemama21

Answer by pennstatemama21 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 11:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• That's normal pumping (don't knock milk banks. the WHO even lists milk banks before formula).

To maximize out put there are things you can do because a pump just isn't very efficient. 1. Pump in the morning between four and eight am as that is when production is peaked 2. Pump while baby nurses so that you take advantage of the baby activating let down 3. You will have one breast that likes the pump better than the other...capitalize on that 4. Massage the breast while pumping so that you can stimulate the milk ducts in a way that the pump can't do on it own (see this:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html)     5.  Have the right pump for the job...if you work full time you need a good double pump.   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• visit http://www.kellymom.com/ for more tips for pumping.

amileegirl

• My DD had that problem at first with the similac early shield we just added mylicon to each bottle and it cut down all of the issues, also it could be the type of bottle that is making her spit more. I wouldn't do the soy because you never know, and it doesn't give all the same things in it. Try mylicon in the bottle.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Similac makes a formula that is for less frequent spits ups that is milk based and lactose free called Similac RS. it has rice starch in it to help keep the formula down. It works well on babies that have acid reflux (my daughter)
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I had the same problem!! But no soy base is fine, i asked my dr, because my son could not keep do Enfamil, so i tryed every formula n he finally was able to keep the Similac Soy down, n 3months later he is a wopping 20lbs. And keeping it down.
    But soy is fine for our babies!!
    BoogersMommy717

Answer by BoogersMommy717 at 4:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Both soy and dairy can be allergy trigger foods. Unless your are buying organic formula, your baby is getting genetically modified soy; if the formula has high fructose corn syrup, she is getting genetically modified corn. You can learn more here: http://www.nongmoproject.org/

You may want to stop formula for a while, and work on getting your supply back up. This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently

Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump

Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby

Take brewers yeast tabs

Look at pictures of your baby while you pump

Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2010