comfort item-----fix or let it fall apart----???

My nine year old DD needs her comfort item---the beanie buddie Lips---he is a fish, well he has been loved----hard!!! and he is falling apart----i dont sew well and my mom told me to let it fall apart and throw it away, but my mom did everything to save my comfort item---(a rabbit 30 years old this last december) i still have him on my dresser---I think Ishould try to save hers---lets just say I fell her pain!!

What would you do--she says it makes her feel good and she sleeps with it everynight---I can try to hand sew it and it may not look the best but it would make her happy

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 11:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would fix it, i have done it for my kids. my 12 y/o still keeps his little pillow and blanket on his bed lol, they are hidden but they are there it is so sweet makes me realize there is still a little bit of my baby left in that kid after all.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• save it, i am 32 and my mom 2 years ago made me yet another 'special pillow" that I have had to have and STILL have to have everynight, I actually brought it on my honeymoon !! I can't sleep anywhere without it, which actually had saved me in relationships in the past
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Save it. I'm 23 and have had two bears (exactly the same) since i was born. I used them to prop up my belly when I was pregnant. lol. I love them! I love my great-grandma for saving them. And my 1 yr old loves them too so I'm hoping they'll make it through her, although she has her own comfort item already.
    Anonymous

• OP---I KNOW MY MOM MUST BE GETTING DEMENTIA I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE SHE SAID TO LET IT FALL APART----TIME FOR A NURSING HOME FOR HER I GUESS----I STILL LOVE MY RABBIT AND I'M 30
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Ask your daughter if she would like for you to sew it, tell her you are not a very good sewer, but you would be happy to try to patch up her buddy. I am guessing that at 9 years old she doesn't drag it to friends houses or anything anyway, so your sewing job might not been seen by too many people anyway.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I can't sew very well either, but when it comes to a "comfort" thing like that, I do my best to repair them. It doesn't matter if they don't look perfect the child will still love it....and it makes for memories later. I say fix it the best you can and keep it as long as you can.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• FIX IT!!!!!!! studies show that children that have comfort items, handle stress better as adults... :)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010