How do I get a previously "outside dog" to quit peeing/pooping in my house?

We were given a 2.5 year old mixed breed dog from our neighbor. Up until she came to us, she was an outside only dog( sometimes in the garage). We've had her for a few weeks and she won't quit going to the bathroom in our house. I'm so fed up! She will do it even after coming in from outside. I just took her for an hour long walk and while I was getting her a bone, she went downstairs and pooped and peed. It was an hour walk! How do I stop this? Like I said, she does it even if she just came in from outside. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gandeluv

Asked by Gandeluv at 11:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2010 in Pets

• take the poop from inside the house and put it in a spot in your back yard where you want the dog to go, it will take time but it works. Also get the spray that gets rid of the smell and deters them from using your home as a potty. There is also a spray out there to attrack dogs to use certain areas to potty but i have never tried it so i dont know if it works or not.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Thanks. I'll try that. She does go poop outside as well. And I praise her after she does.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Get bells on all your outside leading doors and teach him to ring them when he needs out, Ring them when you go out everytime so he gets the point it works great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• uhhh, yeah. O.K. Bells. I'm thinking that if she just went for an HOUR walk outside and didn't pee, she probably isn't going to ring a bell for me. She doesn't know she needs to go outside. Thanks though.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 1:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sorry just thought of something else lol, we got a dog who did this same thing and she still has accidents but she is only 7 months old so i give her a little room for accidents being a puppy...anyhow lol I started giving her a treat everytime she went potty out side, i also gave our older two dogs a treat when she did it. I say "good potty" and give her a treat, she has now learned that the word potty means go to the door and she also comes to me and paws at me when she needs out all i say is "potty?" and she will do circles and bark and i know she needs out.

I think the treats have helped alot, it helps her understand the things i want her to do, the other dogs get excited and i am sure that helps a bit too lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Take her out every hour during the day. Put her on a runner so she can be on a leash but still have the ability to raom the yard. She may not want to be watched when she potties (we have 5 dogs and they hate to be watched when they are outside). Let her out often and it will prevent accidents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• This dog is used to going wherever she wants if she has never been inside she is not housebroken. I would start treating her like a young pup and get her on a schedule. Feed her at the same times every day. You should be with her everytime she goes outside to potty and give her a treat and praise when she does something out there. She should never be left unattended and should not have full run of the house. If you don't have one you might consider getting a crate that will help you with the house breaking
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• we always rubed there nose in it and put them outside right when they get cought.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Please do not rub their nose in their accidents....have you any idea how sensitive their noses are and the fact that they have no idea why you are treating them harshly?
    Anonymous

• Rubbing the dogs nose in their own poop is old school. Not only is it gross it does not work. Dogs live in the moment they do not remember what they did 5 minutes ago so unless you catch them in the act you can not punish them.
    Anonymous