12 month old not sleeping good

My son used to be a great sleeper but all of a sudden I can't get him to sleep hardly and when I do he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and crying. Most of the time I can console him and get him back to sleep but then others he stays up. I don't know what to do to help him stay asleep. He no longer is on a bottle and has been off of it for a month and always has balanced meal before bed and then a snack followed by our routine every night. Any ideas or suggestions?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe he's starting to teeth or get a little cold or he's growing... mostlikely the teeth... maybe oral jel before bed
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yea he is teething and we usually do tylenol and teething tabs just b4 bedtime...I will try the oral gel before bed and see if that helps
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• See I'm having the same trouble. My son though isn't exactly one a specific schedule.
    My son used to be soo easy to put to sleep at the same exact time every night. He'd eat at the same time, nap at the same time, etc. Then he turned one. He still naps at the same times .. like if he gets up at 8am he takes a nap at 11-12 pm. If he gets up at 10am he takes a nap at 1pm. He goes to bed anywhere from 8pm to 10pm .. I have tried to keep him on a schedule, but for whatever reason it isn't working like it used to. His schedule before he turned one was natural. He created it on his own since the day he was born. Now I'm at a loss.

It could be a growth spert, it could be teething. I don't agree with giving children medications. I believe in home remedies, but you do what you feel is best to cure his teething or growth spert.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My DD has been doing this at 19 months and I have seen so many others with the same problem I think that it is a mental growth spurt and their minds are overactive and that affects their ability to sleep, I am sure that it will eventually go away but it is is a pain.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2010