homeschoolers-

monday is Martin luther King day- do any of you have any ideas on any lesson plans on this subject for kindergarteners?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Okay first of all, don't let them color a picture of him.. well you can but its not teaching them anything... get a black doll or something to represent african americans and a white doll to represent Caucasians and ask them if they would be friends with each and then explain how people used to not want to be friends with the black dolls and how they used to be rude to them...

Thats really the best you can do.. i know parents think kids should be learning things like that but at that age for the most part the majority doesn't understand discrimination... they aren't capable of it.. even with my suggestion they'll probably just think people way back then just didn't like black dolls.. you could used darker skinned students but that might be to touchy for parents and might have them thinking that their black friend wasn't liked back then rather then the race... they just don't understand it..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• maybe just explain that there was a man that wanted to make it okay to have the dark skinned and light skin be friends.. explain what used to happen to them about how they had to sit in the back of the bus... and just the simple aspects.. explain discrimination - don't just say the word
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I am a homeschooler and I have a 4 and almost 6 year old. We will be talking about him, but I am not going into specifics, certainly not how the previous poster suggested. We will talk about who is was and what he stood for. For all people to be created equal, regardless of what we look like, whether that be by color, size, sex, etc...

I would never hand my kids a black doll and white doll and ask them which kid they would play with. There are more appropriate ways to teach about Dr.King.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Jan0609momma That is a horrid idea.

If you want to teach equality stop emphisizing on race.
    If you want to teach them about MLK then teach them about how he stood up for equality and against adversity that the community as a whole experienced during those times. Teach them both sides. Teach about freedom of belief, freedom for the right to choose, freedom of expression. Whether right or wrong both sides believed they were doing the right thing. In order to teach a child truth, you have to show them both sides of the road. Allow them to make up their own opinions and their own mind. Again, whether right or wrong both sides believed in something. You can't teach a child one side of the street and expect them to understand the pursuit of equality. Teach them from both the white and black persepective in all honesty of what happened during MLK's time. Then let them decide how they feel about it and what they think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Jan0609momma- thanks for trying to help but that was a really bad suggestion. I am half black half white and my husband is black. my kids see both races in my family and i would never ask them to choose who they like better, the black doll or the white doll.

to the other posters- thank you, i will def try both ideas!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• What Jan said about the dolls was done before to school age children. They done a special on this on CNN. You would not believe what kids thought about these dolls and what was found out by this testing.
    Jan0609-- you are right with what you said. It is a shame others do not understand what you are saying.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i saw that stupid cnn test and I thought it was stupid then too- i think that is a horrible way to teach children about Martin luther King jr! we are not supposed to be pointing out differences in people but instead teach them about how they are equal. I am not going to tell my child to pick which color he likes better- that is just so ignorant!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You find it ignorant lovely, and you are entitled to your opinion. There are studies done with children that are done in ways that there is no right or wrong answer. If you seen the test on the dolls you should be aware that children see things differently then adults do. I think that is what the other poster was trying to say to you.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• but having a child pick which one is "better" is awful and worse yet is her suggestion to have a darker skinned student play the role of the disliked black people- i mean come on- u have to admit that she was being a bit ignorant
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I love the idea of transforming the day into a National Day of Service.

Here are more ideas: http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/schoolroom/mlkjr.php

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2010