Prematurity: What causes prematurity? any thoughts

My twins were very premature. They have a lot of developmental delays and another ray of health problems. My mom keep saying that it was that I did not rest enough (But in my work I was sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours, no physically demanding). Every time they have a health issue, my mom reminds me that it is because of their prematurity and cause I did not take care of myself when I was pregnant. Does anyone knows something about this issue? I am just feeling guilty all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Health

• for my daughter, it was just stress IMO. I was under a lot of it & extremely depressed. Heck, I spent nearly 3 months dilated to 2cm. I still kinda laugh remembering people's faces when I would mention it. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son was 2 months early, I ended up with toxicmena (sp?). I dont think she should be blameing you. there could have been many reasons why and mostly with twins
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• That is absolutely cruel of your mother to blame you and constantly remind and guilt you. You need to tell her so.

Hormones, environmental contaminants, diet imbalances, undetected genetic issues (from either or both parents), illness, weight issues, so many things can factor and it might not be just one thing.

Twins are often "premature" and the guidelines for when twins "should" come is always up for discussion.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• it is too late to change things now. you have a lot to deal with without the guilt. try to let your mom know that it is important for you and your little ones that you are able to focus on the present and the future.
    i had one preemie, he was early b/c of stress. my dh and i had just started a business, and ihad no idea if and how we would pay rent or buy groceries from one moment to the next. My son spent 1 mo in the nicu.
    our next pregnancy was twins. we found out at 6 months. i read, and my midwife was taught that twin preemies are believed to be from malnutrition of the mother. I was told(and tried my hardest) to eat 4000 calories a day. we went 37 weeks. the last few weeks i could only stand for 10 minutes without having a contraction. we were soooo motivated to not have to be in the nicu, that our family did all we could do to keep those babies in.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• also, i saw a chiropractor that did muscle testing, and i took some supplements that i never would have otherwise. i took two different tinctures to ease/ slow contractions.
    if you have another baby, you will be much more in tune with what your body needs to support your baby.
    as far as carrying twins, some ob's don't recommend any different care than with singletons! I am thankful i had different sources to turn to.
    To keep in the here and now is the most important thing. take care of your babies, and try to get your mother to stop...maybe your dh could talk to her? or maybe you could talk to your father?
    good luck and congratulations on your twins!
    there are support groups for multiples, and preemie multiples are not at all uncommon. it could help!
    my twins are almost 2 now, and so much fun!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010