Unlocking an iPhone?

DH & I want iPhones, but we want to stay with T-Mobile for several reasons. But we want to buy new iPhones so we have the warranty, accident protection, etc., from Apple. I have seen software/instructions on the web & on eBay to unlock an iPhone, but IDK if they are any good or worth paying for.
Has anyone ever unlocked an iPhone to use on a different network? How did you do it, & how much was it? Also, does it void the warranty with Apple to unlock the iPhone?
BTW, we are looking at the 16 GB 3G S.
Thanks in advance :)

emslala

Asked by emslala at 2:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Once you unlock a phone the warranty is null and void.
    Also, T-Mobile doesn't fully support the iPhone radio. You would only get 2G/EDGE network coverage instead of 3G (so slower speeds) and you wouldn't be able to have simultaneous voice and data.
    The visual voicemail won't work.
    iPhones also don't have MMS (picture) messaging without downloading SwirlyMMS, which is not an Apple App. This can cause problems with your phone such as viruses and botched software.
    I know that you call AT&T and have them unlock the iPhone. Prices are as follows::
    8GB iPhone Canceled: $480
    16GB iPhone Canceled: $580
    8GB iPhone Unlocked from AT&T: $599
    16GB iPhone Unlocked from AT&T: $699
    As you can see, if you purchase a phone with the contract and then cancel, it's actually cheaper than purchasing an unlocked phone straight from AT&T.
    I couldn't tell you about the eBay codes as I don't have experience with them.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 3:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The other thing that you have to worry about with any unlocked phone is that you won't be able to get on the internet or receive picture mail
    happy2bamommy86

Answer by happy2bamommy86 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Why would I not be able to do that with an unlocked phone? I thought as long as your service provider had the services for those, you could do it on any phone?
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Well, as I said, the iPhone does not send/receive picture mail on its own.
    And you'll be able to get on the internet but you're speeds will vary because of the iPhone's inability to connect to the Tmobile's 3G network. You'll still get the internet just at 2G.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 8:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2010