Do you think we should help Haiti?

I was appalled that some people on another site were questioning this. Do YOU feel we should help them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes and I donated $30 to do my part. That isn't NEARLY what I do for those in need in THIS country. I spend $100 A MONTH on groceries that I specifically donate to a church for their food bank. I spend $100 A MONTH on diapers, baby food, formula, bath products and peronal hygiene products that I donate to the above mentioned church. I go to the Thrift Store every month and spend $50 A MONTH on jackets that I donate in September to the same church mentioned above ( I am Jewish and don't attend this church) so that children have coats to wear in the winter. I spend $50 A MONTH on toys that I save all year long and in Nov. I donate them for Toys For Tots. And once a year when the post office has it's food drive I clean out my cupboards & donate AT LEAST 5 bags worth of food to those in need.

None of the poor in our country will be affected by the help that we are giving to Haiti. Everyone who gets PA will still get it in Feb..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think we should help our own first. New Orleans is still a freaking nightmare in most areas. We can't police the world, we sent 5000 troops to Haiti, why not send them 5000 troops to NO to clean it up??
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Absolutely
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 2:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• That has been the big debate on here today........yes, we have our own problems here, but honestly, they all pale in comparison to what is going on in Haiti right now. I think that we are doing as much as we can right now. The real test will come later on down the road, after another disaster, or when enough time has gone by that people forget about it, much like they have done with the aftermath of Katrina.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As much as someone can afford.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

•  think we should help Haiti  what  they going through a disaster  Nan of us want  Tobe in  baby's crying  for food or they hurt  there's no medication  now you do the math for the restgroup hug

bj305

Answer by bj305 at 3:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree that we should help but I wonder about the 100mill though. They do need all the help they can give I am not questioning that one bit. The thing that concerns me is that we are trying to get out of a recession and now we are adding checks that we can't cash, so to speak. I say send as many medical personnel that we can along with troops. When you have stress of this magnitude there is going to be choas even bigger. They have already started the looting, so now will come the hopelessness. They need structure and need it today. What is the point of sending millions if there is nothing to cash it in for. kwim. I wonder also will they be sending construction teams as well. I know here we reuse cement for the roads; just curious if they could do that with the homes. I just pray for them that they will have some peace soon.
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 3:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I gave what I could. What I gave won't affect what I do already. I will give more when payday rolls around next Friday. ON TOP of what i do for those here. You CAN do both. It doesn't HAVE to be an either/or thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yes. We don't have to agree with how they do anything in their country, their lives, their schools, or their government because first and foremost - their are human beings. Their suffering is not due to anything they personally did, said, or thought.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yes id just like some accountability to know that it isnt going to the corrupt government to be taken and pocketed instead of being used for the people...I beliee that is what most folks who are concerned are concerned about...because afterall then what is the point if it doesnt get to the people?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010