If natural birth/no interventions during birth are so safe, what was up with me?

I labored meds free for 14 hours, pushed for 4 hours in different positions and still had a c-section due to my son being posterior and big. He came out black and blue due to lack of oxygen. Thank goodness he's healthy and safe. Is it 100% safe? What did I do wrong? All of you birth nazi mothers claim that c-sections are a "cop out" then what is my excuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There are some people that have problems giving birth naturally, but that being said a posterior facing baby is something that can be dealt with, and also if the baby is too big to fit through your hip bones then that cannot be prevented. Nobody ever said that natural birth is 100% safe, but it is more safe than having a planned c section. There are always risks in everything but there are 2% of the female population that cannot deliver vaginally at all, and then others that have children to large to birth. I suggest that you visit the ICAN website for further factual information on the subject. Having a c section is not natural and is very dangerous, but there are sometimes that it is absolutely needed, but having one just to avoid labor is a cop out, and is also dangerous to the baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• 1st nothing is 100 % safe when it comes to L&D
    2nd did you just want to start something?
    I dont believe you should choose to havea csection BUT if it is needed then so be it, mom and baby are more important
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• ((OP)) No arguements are intended. I'm serious. My words may have came off as being hateful but I do not mean it that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sometimes nature needs a little help. Think of all those babies who were lost because we didnt have the technology to help them and their mothers through the birthing process. Sometimes babies just dont get into the right position or something gets in the way and they need help out. Having a cesarean in that case is not a cop out. Childbirth is what our bodies were built for but sometimes its not a smooth ride.
    You did your best but your baby needed extra help. There is nothing wrong with that. You tried it naturally and when your child's life was at risk, you did what you needed to do. Dont let anyone tell you that you did anything wrong or feel that you need an excuse to save your child's life.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Gotcha, Some people tho ya know LOL.
    I am glad to hear that all went well and baby and you are fine :)
    Last year 2 of my friends had emergency csections and this year 1 has. In all 3 cases their babies almost died.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I've never heard of labor nazi's.. and i've never heard it a opt out.. i was in labor for 3 days and never got a chance to push because i was having to hard of contractions and not able to dilate... yes i took the drugs to keep me going even longer.. and i had a c section... sometimes it just happens... nothing is wrong with you... just feel lucky technology and medical stuff is where its at.. i hate the idea that if i was in some 3rd world country or back in accent times that i would have died, and that possibly my child would have died... don't let people get you down... just be happy you have a healthy baby and a lovely scar to prove your love for that baby
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• OP it sounds like you may be one of those 2% people, you should ask your doctor, it is a condition with a long weird name. You did what you could but sometimes nature needs a little assistance which is ok, when the c section is truly needed IE saving your life and the baby's then it is not a cop out, but having it just so you can pick the date time and avoid labor that is a cop out. Babies need to experience at lease a part of the labor process so that their lungs are not full of fluid, laboring helps them, and circumventing that is what is bad.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I'm curious did you have the urge to push before you were pushing?

I am a huge supporter of natural birth. That said, sometimes c-sections are warranted. Just not at over 30% like it is in the US. Should be somewhere 10-15% per WHO.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Jan, did you happen to get induced?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Cephalopelvic Disporoprtion (CPD) is extremely rare and can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy for each woman. Usually it's just babies presentation, not the size of the baby. My own OB said i was too small and diagnosed me with CPD and my baby was 5 pounds so yes, I am planning a VBAC.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010