Should I have a baby at age 41?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you want to.
    Sure!!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think if you are a healthy women, then yes! :)
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt.

A higher likelihood of having pre-existing medical conditions that could worsen during pregnancy or that could complicate a pregnancy
    A more difficult time getting pregnant
    A higher chance of miscarriage
    A greater risk of having a child with Down syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities
    A greater risk of labor and delivery complications

As you age, so do your eggs
    As you age, so do the eggs that you’ve carried within you since you were a fetus yourself. And just as you have a higher chance of developing health problems as you grow older, so do your eggs.

At 40, as compared to 20 or 30, it’s likely that a higher percentage of your remaining eggs will have abnormalities in the number, structure or composition of the chromosomes, or that they will divide abnormally during ovulation. This increase in the percentage of abnormal eggs consequently increases the
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If you feel as though you want to then of course but keep in mind that having a baby later in life like that can cause problems. I would talk to your doctor and make an informed choice, but if you really want to then I see no reason not to.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If you get pregnant, your risk of the baby having down syndrome is 1/82. If the baby is born when you're 42, its 1/63. At 43 its 1/49.

Compare that to a 35 year old woman whos risk for a baby with down syndrome is 1/378.

If you get pregnant at 41, the risk for any other chromosomal disorder at 41 is 1/53. At 42 its 1/42. At 43 its 1/33.

Compare that to a 35 year old woman whos risk for a baby with any other chromosomal disorder is 1/192.

The chances are REALLY high and rise sharply every year after 35.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I completely agree with ANON :57. There's risks that you take having a child at the age of 40. If you are willing to face the issues that could come up then that's up to you. I choose not to put a child thur that. But you are your own person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think that people can throw stats at you all day but only you know what it right for you. If you don't have any kids then I can see how you really want to have a child, and if you are careful and plan well it can be fine. It also depends on how old you were when you first had your period, do yourself a favor, and talk to your doctor. We shouldnt tell you what to do, people on here are too emotionally involved in their answers and forget that the asker is a feeling person struggling. Good luck to you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Sure, if that's what you want. =) Just make sure you do your research first and also think about your future and how it will change as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I had my last one at 43....he was just perfect. But I would talk to a OB/GYN if your concerned about genetics
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 3:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Kick back and relax. Enjoy time with your husband. if you have older children, an empty nest is not a bad thing. if you have LO's at home, enjoy them. 40's is your time for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010