My 6 week old baby crys constantly when she is awake is this normal and what can i do to make her stop?

I give her gas drops sometimes but she after that she is still the same so i dont think she is colic

kristylovesyou

Asked by kristylovesyou at 3:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be colic or acid reflux, I would have the doctor check for acid reflux a lot of babies have that and it is confused for colic.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My DD had acid reflex and they told me for weeks that it was colic so call the doctor and have her/him checked for acid reflex don't let it go insist that they check your LO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If your child has acid reflex ask them about switching her forumla to "enfamil gentalease for fussness and gas"
    CONT: :53 sorry just thought I would add this. It helped my DD once she was switched and I saw a difference within the first 2-34 bottles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If they have reflux changing the formula may or may not help. My 19 mo was diagnosed at 5 days old. She cried a lot. She was put onto zantac by 6 weeks and onto prevacid combined with zantac by 12 weeks. At 19 mos she is only on prevacid. She is a completely different kid and once they aren't screaming you tend to like them more. We stopped our LO's meds at 1 b/c they are supposed to outgrow it by then. She didn't and she would gag and puke 2 x's a day for 6 mos before we realized that it was the reflux and put her back onto the prevacid. Go get your baby checked. You never know what is going on with them since they can't tell us. Use you intuition.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• She could be teething. It could be colic. It could be gas and the gas drops aren't relieving it.
    Take her to the doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• try the colic drops they are called gripe water
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 1:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Also when my baby boy cried like that i would put him in the car and go on a ride, he will nap in the car, but it gets better as they get bigger. He is a one year old now and takes naps it is also easier letting them cry as they get bigger
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 1:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• ooooh ... invest in a swaddler. i thought they were soo gimicky at first, but my son was swaddled for the first almost 6 months! it gave us sooo much peace. i denied his colic for about 8 weeks after birth, then it died after 4 months. 10 hrs a day plus of screaming. the doctor just told us to "get some help" lol. but i found gripe water, gas drops, swaddling, and shushing work magic. keep trying everything repeatedly and something is bound to work eventually. plus if you think it's reflux, keep insisting. my son had reflux for a good while...he puked all the time. still does...lol good luck mama!!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 2:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• As a newborn my youngest son cried whenever he was awake. It was terrible. He would cry and cry and then pass out in our arms out of pure exhaustion. It turned out that he had reflux and we started him on meds around 4-5 weeks. After 2-3 weeks he was 100% a different baby. OMG the difference was amazing and we found that he actually was not a high needs baby, but quite laid back and content. Poor baby was hurting.

One of the things that tipped the dr off to reflux and not colic was that he was like this from pretty much the beginning. I guess colic usually starts a bit later.

BTW, the dr was telling me that there are recent studies saying that probiotics have been shown to be very effective in treating colic. Basically what they do is restore the natural bacteria in the gut. A baby's digestive system is premature and so the probiotics can help (after 1 week or so of use). You can get them in drop form for infants.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 5:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010