Mormons & Body Issues

So I stumbled across a Mormon board and I was shocked to see how many women who were Mormon ashamed of their bodies. They were discussing how they couldn't even discuss BFing or birth TO DOCTORS. Why is this?

MoonLover06

Asked by MoonLover06 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Where is this Mormon board? I'm interested in reading about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I'm not mormon and I have body issues. maybe they thought they could discuss their issues with like minded people without judgment until you come along, invade their board, then go discussing them on another site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have been Mormon my whole life and have never heard of anyone having those issues. When I was pregnant all anyone at church ever did was ask me if I was breastfeeding or what my plans were, and shared their birth stories. Then after I had my daughter they all wanted to compare stories,asked about how long I was in labor& things like that. Birth is natural Ive never known anyone to be ashamed to talk about it. I don't know why those women were saying they couldnt discuss things with their doctors. The only thing I can think of is maybe some of them have doctors who they go to church with.I know I personally would feel weird having a gyno/obgyn who I went to church with.Everytime I saw them at church I would be wondering if he/she remembered what they saw/talked about with me. lol I dont have any problem talking to a doctor who I only see as a doctor, but my OBGYN was my little sisters basketball coach &that was a little weird
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Oh, please I was not being judgemental in my post. It just made me sad that grown women couldn't talk to their doctors about natural functions.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't think that is a Mormon thing, it is a WOMAN thing. I know plenty of women who are uncomfortable discussing those things with their doctor. Its sad because like you said it is a natural function, but if a woman feels insecure with their bodies, they shy away from discussing things. I totally blame the media on this one.
    Anonymous

• Ive heard of them having issues like that but not where they couldnt talk to their doctors about it.
    My thought is they have some learned at home behavior that they feel is based on church things.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• What I think is weird is that you have put aside Mormons in some special category as if they really aren't normal people. I just just want to know why it stands out that Mormons having issues like that is so strange. I am LDS (Mormon) and I'm not a prude by any means, but I don't like to discuss things of a personal nature so openly. I would ask my doctor about it if it were a concern, but Mormons are just like regular people and we all have different personalities and are raised differenlty. Some of us are more open and some are not. Not all Mormons are prudes if that is what you are getting at. In fact I know some that are WAY too open.
    AngelPuff1012

Answer by AngelPuff1012 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Because I had never seen so many adult women talk about being ashamed than in this LDS board.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Don't know; I'm LDS, and I'm just fine and dandy with doctors appointments and my body....and we're all pretty chill in the mothers room nursing during church.

Anonymous

• I am atheist and I am really embarrassed talking to my doctors about things sometimes. They sound like just regular women to me don't see what that has to do with their religion, some of us are just not as open about things as you

Anonymous