D.U.I.

So my SO and his bro (who's home on leave from the marines) were up at the bar. He told me he'd be home late and I was like ok whatever don't drink too much drive careful. I woke up at about 3:30 am. and he's not home but I have a missed call. I call back. Nothing. I thought maybe I locked him out. Then my bro says he called him too. Finally after calling him about 4 times he picks up and I'm like ok where are you? He says with Lisa (one of his friends). Why??? (I knew this was going to be bad). He got pulled over. Blew a .07. Still got arrested. He's going to the hospital to get his blood tested but will that even make any difference? What makes me most mad is he's going to school to be an air traffic controller, which they won't let you do if you have altercations w/ the law. To make his way through school he delivers pizza, which they won't let you do if you have a d.u.i. I recently lost my job in December. cont....

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I am just wondering is it wrong of me to be totally unsupportive? I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS. And now he is one. I just feel like he should've been more responsible
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 4:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• id be pretty mad that he was throwing all that away and endangering his and other peoples lives. i dont know if the blood test will make a difference hes probably gonna get the ticket no matter what if he was over the limit though. id be pretty mad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You are NOT wrong for being unsupportive. He was totally irresponsible and selfish when he did it.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 4:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i am furious. he is lucky i'm not the one who picked him up or i probably would've gotten arrested for beating him lol. all i could do was just cry. i put my school on hold so he could go to school and get a good job and now he's screwed it up.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 4:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• He totally fu**ed his life up, and yours by doing this. You have a right to be unsupportive.

Answer by louise2 at 6:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I would be pissed he could have killed somebody or himself, he may be able to plea it down to a lesser charge if this is the first time, and you may have to testify about what this charge will do to your family situation. I would make it clear that if he ever takes on drink and drives he is out of the house though, he can't think it is ok even a little.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• He made a horrible mistake, but all is not lost. He will be forced to change the direction of his life now. You can either choose to move with this change or move on. It's up to you and those are your only two options. You have a right to be mad and frustrated of course, but there is little you can do to change the course of your future now. Maybe its a sign that its time for you to re-enroll in school and start your own career.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• And the legal fees. I'd be super pissed. You're in the right. Hard lesson for him.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• He should've been more responsible. Not only are there legal fees, but he put himself and others at risk, now has a DUI arrest on his record, and is risking his school and job. Yea.. I'd be pissed. If that were my husband I would ring into him hard and let him know that if he ever even so much as thought of doing that again it is a divorce. No second chances, no question about it I would leave him. Might sound harsh, but I personally do not put up with that kind of behavior.

My brother in law has had three DUI's and surprisingly is not in prison yet, which is normally what you'd get for your third offense. He hasn't learned a single thing after the first two, so I doubt he's learned anything now from not getting busted. His girlfriend is still with him, but see I wouldn't be. I'd dump him, because that's not something I condone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You have every right to be unsupportive. I've told DH if that EVER happened to him, if he ever had to sit in the drunk tank, he shouldn't even call me. Find someone else to bail your loser butt out. Hopefully yours learned his lesson and life turns out ok.
    Jayme

Answer by Jayme at 2:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010