i feel like a horrible mommy! is this going to hurt him?

he wouldn't stop crying! almost 3 hours of screaming and crying! i fed him, changed him, held him, walked around with him, went on a 30 minute drive with him, played music for him! no fever, i checked multiple times! no noticable owwies or rashes or anything like that, no gas bulges and he has been pooping and burping normally! so finally after hours with no calming him i just gave him half a dose of infants tylenol, and he just stopped. he has been propped up just looking at me since, but i feel like i did something wrong because i don't think he's sick i just felt as if i had run out of options! he is 3 months old and i am afraid now that maybe i hurt him by giving him even just half a dose without him being sick. he's not fussy in the least now, just looking at me and looking around and being calm! am i a bad mommy??? i really feel bad now even though he isn't crying anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recently heard about this for the first time(and I'm about to have my 3rd baby!), on the radio nonetheless!!! It's called the Period of Purple Crying! Check out this link, it'll help you feel better about the crying that you can't seem to soothe, and some tricks to keep from getting to frustered(in a link they provide)! I just googled it to see what it was when I read your post it reminded me of the "purple crying" I heard about! I'm bookmarking it for when my little guy gets here! http://thedadjam.com/baby/the-period-of-purple-crying/
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i dont think what you did was horrible..i do however think next time this happens, give grripe water instead. i remember my daughter did that one day as well, when she was about 3.5 months old..i didnt know what to do either..and i also tried everything, but NOTHING worked!! i gave her some gripe water, and after that she was fine. gripe water works wonders! and its safer than tylenol.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• i dont think it will hurt him. and he could have had an owwie you just maybe didnt notice. however i dont agree with giving a child meds just to make him stop crying. thats in my honest opinion.....wrong. but you did it not much you can do now and just make sure it wasnt one that was recalled. you should check that out. it could have been anything that was making him cry. and some babies are just fussy and cry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Have his ears checked. My twins would get ear infections with out fevers and they never once grabbed their ears They would just get upset and nothing worked. I hope you can find the root cause of it. If tylenol made it better there is most likely something wrong.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• If the pain med worked, he may be a little sick teeth buds or ears. It's ok, you'll both be fine. You'll get an instinct about it soon enough.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 6:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You did nothing wrong. When I check my son and could find no real reason for him to be crying, I gave him Tylenol. Sometimes they have pains we can't see or know about (think about you having a headache, for example). Sounds like your baby had something wrong since the Tylenol seemed to work.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Since it worked I would say that he was in pain and tylenol is a pain reliever first so what you did was absolutely fine, they cant tell us if they hurt so they cry, it was a shot you had to take. Dont worry about it you didnt give him whiskey or anything. You are far too hard on yourself, and that wont help.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• He had a pain and you relieved it. How is that bad?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Are his gums swollen?? He could be teething, in which case the tylenol would help. You are definitely not a bad mommy.
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 8:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Is it possible that he is teething? Babies can cry for hours w/o you knowing that they are teething.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2010