What do you think?

My sister is dating a guy that is in the army and who is Christian. He has very strong opinions about things and lives his life based on the bible. Not saying thats a problem but doesnt the bible say Thou shall not kill. So how can you be in the army prepared to kill if need be yet believe that you should not kill? I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You shall not murder is what it is saying. That means he isnt in the army with the intent to murder but the intent to protect his home land. It is the heart attitude that matters.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I believe there is a place in the bible that addresses the issue of killing in war situations and also in situations like a cop killing a suspect to save others or them. It sounds like you are trying to find an excuse to not like him.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think there were wars fought in the bible that God was supportive of if I'm not mistaken. War is different i guess. I wish we could all just get along.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• how about you follow your beliefs and let him follow his? Why is that so hard for "christians" to do?

Without war, you would not have your freedom of religion. Without war, maybe one of these other countries with other beliefs would take over our country. Do you want these radicals that took down the twin towers to take over?

Like Shaneagle said, he's not in it to murder, just defend OUR freedoms as a country.

I think the most applicable thing I can post at this moment is a line from an email I got the other day.

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them!!!"

Special thanks, thoughts and prayers for your sister's bf for defending my freedoms!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think there are cases where war can be morally justified - it's similar to the idea of self-defense. Nations as well as individuals are justified in protecting their land, resources and people as well as fight against invasion or corruption. And it's OK for others to help a nation do that. The bible does say not to kill, but it also tells us to fight against wrongs and to help our neighbors. But not only must the cause of war be just, but the acts of war used in combat must also be just. And that's what is so insidious about war. The tendency to dehumanize the enemy and try to justify acts such as torture or killing of innocents. And that is the struggle for the individual soldier, which is why Ipray every day for those facing combat situations. Remember: all that evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• ""If you don't stand behind our troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them!!!"

That is the most horrible thing to say. And people who call themselves religious say these things?! Wow!! Just disgusting.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Christianity has a long bloody history of starting war in the name of god.  So I say that Christianity by it's very nature is hypocritical. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I believe that Jesus taught nonviolence. That being said, I don't believe most christians realize this. Within our culture many people associate patriotism with christianity. Perhaps your sister's boyfriend falls into this category. I know that whenever my children attended Baptist Church activities when they were little saying the pledge of allegience was part of opening the sessions along with an opening prayer.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My brother is in the army, and a Christian. There is the morally justified "killing" in defense of home, family, or country, then there is the morally unjustifiable murder of others. Just because it is morally justifiable doesn't mean he doesn't have issues with it. My brother refuses to speak about his tours in Korea or Iraq with anyone other than DH, and that is pretty much with DH in a minister's role, so he keeps his mouth shut. Just because he is prepared to kill doesn't mean he enjoys it, it just means that he has found something that is more important to him than his own comfort. He is also prepared to die for a country that may not appreciate his sacrifice. He probably isn't too keen on that either, but if it comes down to it, he will die to protect what he cares about, what he feels is right.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Christianity has a long bloody history of starting war in the name of god. So I say that Christianity by it's very nature is hypocritical.

yup
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2010