Have you ever needed to "unfriend" someone from an online social network?

A couple of friends of mine recently parted ways. Soon after the decision to not be friends, they made it official by unfriending each other from FB and here. I have considered unfriending my husband on FB so I can have uncensored girl talk with my friends! Do you friends lots of people or maintain a close circle of friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• My closest friends I have been friends with for over 20 years, and some of them over 30 years. I would rather have 20 close friends then 200 people I call friends.
    I have about 20 that I talk to on a weekly basis, some on a daily basis.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I had a friend I un-friended in real life and on FB but in general I leave them who cares let them FB stalk you unless they slept with your husband, then delete them.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I unfriended online before I did it IRL so yeah
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Oh absolutely I have. It unfortunately gets to that point sometimes. The thing about the internet, is you don't really KNOW who you are connecting with unless you know them IRL.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yeah, I've unfriended people online. One girl hasn't called me for the longest time IRL, and all she ever posted was trying to raise $$ for some cause bike race thing she was doing (like seriously, 3Xs a day, "I need your money!" SO DO I! LOL)

Another guy I knew kept posting offensive comments about my religion, so I figured, I didn't need to be his friend.

As for not knowing who people are. On facebook or mayspace, I only ever friended people I knew IRL.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have deleted people off of my FB and Myspace page. I only have my sisters, best friend, and husband on my Myspace. I chose this so I could blog without it getting into the grapvine. I only have internet friends on another forum I go to, again so I can blog without it getting into the wrong ears. On my FB I have friends, family, and internet friends all in one place. I don't blog there, as there isn't that option, so I am comfortable having everyone on there.

If I feel someone is negatively effecting my profile or other friends on the site, then they will be deleted. I have no issue with deleting a friend or family member off of my site. For whatever reason it may be. I deleted my husband off of said public forum, so that I could blog about him and he not know what I'm talking about. I needed to get it out somewhere and he's on my myspace. I even thought about deleting him off of there first, since he never uses his.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Just about all my friends are on FB and I liked having girl talk on there. Ever since I've accepted male friends and acquaintances (including my husband) it hasn't been the same. I don't feel as free to make man jokes or gripe about my husband. It's made it less fun for me and I'm seriously considering unfriending all the males off my friend list. I would hope they'd understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2010