im scared that i will have to have a c-section

I am a diabetic and my blood sugars have been great which helps me to not have a very large baby but my husbands moms smallest baby was 9lbs. My perinatologist said that I may have to have a c-section. I'm scared cause I run a high risk of infection. I still have 22 weeks to go and I know I shouldn't worry about it now but I can't help it. Am I just working myself up over nothing? Are there any diabetic moms who have had c-sections on here that have good stories about recovery?

happy2bamommy86

Asked by happy2bamommy86 at 7:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't let them tell you you have to have one before the onset of labor, that is a scare tactic they are using on you, there are lots of women that can birth 9 10 lb babies with no problem, and also just because you MIL had big babies doesnt mean you will, please please please don't fall for the scare tactics, a vaginal delivery is better for you and the baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You could opt to at least try to have the baby vaginally. Your birth plan is your choice ya know. I've had two c-sections and they weren't really that bad. Whatever happens, you will get through it and have a wonderful happy healthy baby.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I very much want to have the baby vaginally and that's what I'm really hoping happens.
    happy2bamommy86

Answer by happy2bamommy86 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Just tell the doc that you wan to try to go vaginally, but you want to make sure the option is available to do the c-section
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• what a horrible perinatologist. can you switch? i would want a provider who knew that i had a great chance of having a vaginal birth, not someone who would tell me before that i might have to have a c-section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Don't let the ultrasound estimated measurements scare you either. Doctors are people doing their best with high tech devices. They make mistakes. A lot of cafemoms have been told their baby was one weight just to find out the ultrasound was off by 3 whole pounds or more!

Write out your birth plan. Write out that you want to have a vaginal birth. Write out the check list of complications that you feel warrant a c-section, like blood pressure or heart rate issues. Make copies for EVERYONE. Your SO/DH needs to be on board. Can you MIL or mom come? Have advocates.

No one can force you into the OR. You know what is best for your body and your baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Go into it telling yourself (and anyone else who wants to know) that you will have a vaginal birth. If true complications arise and you need a C-section, then that's fine, but a baby being truly too big to be birthed vaginally is a very rare thing indeed. And like a PP said, don't trust ultrasound measurements; first off, they're liable to be wrong, and secondly, just because you have a "big" baby doesn't mean it won't fit. Trust your body. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I really don't know what all the big fuss about c-sections is anyway. I had two. If I had more kids, I'd do it again. I would never, ever go through a vaginal delivery. The first time I was in labor for 23 hours with no progression. WHY would I EVER put myself through that again? The c-sections are scheduled, done, I was up in a couple of hours and home in two.... I felt fine and was out walking around the mall in five days. Everyone is different, but I really don't think getting yourself so upset because there is a possibility of a c-section is worth your time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• just because your baby may be/is bigger, doesn't mean you can't deliver vaginally. and I don't know how much truth there is to genetics and baby size... my mom and my husbands mom, and our entire families at that all had 'normal' sized babies. I however, had a 9lb 2oz baby delivered vaginally with no problems or even the thought of a c-section. they even thought I was going to have a 6 lb baby and were stunned when he was so big! I definately wouldn't worry this early, and maybe find a new doctor that will at least consider your opinion. I know with diabetes the size of your child can be affected, but there are other factors that also affect the size.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Just because your baby is "big" doesn't mean you can't deliver it vaginally. My first was 8lbs and 12oz. That being said, YOUR mother is a better indicator of how big your babies will be then your MIL My MIL's biggest baby was just barely 7lbs and her smallest full term was 5lbs and some odd ounces. My mothers smallest baby was born a month early and was still 7lbs 4oz. her largest was 11lbs and some odd ounces and all nine of us were delivered vaginally. So at least try to get through a vaginal delivery because you more then likely can, and if you absolutely have to have a c-section it is not that bad and at least you know that you tried to do a vaginal delivery. Ultrasounds can be off on the size of a baby by more then two pounds either way on a regular basis (they told me my son was around 11 lbs) so don't let them use that against you! Good Luck and you'll be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2010