Anyone have any suggestions on relieving pain from constant pre-labor contractions? ( Other than shower/bath) I have been in "pre-labor" for about a week, on top of pain from a recently placed stent for kidney stones. Need some help other than hot showers and tylenol!

I had a kidney stent placed just under 2 weeks ago, and on top of that have entered what my midwife calls "pre-labor". COntractions that HURT, are very strong and get very close together, then back off then come back, but never completely go away. I am miserable. I can't do much because I am just always hurting. Even walking AND lying down are uncomfortable. Anyone have any good suggestions other than the typical hot shower ( we dont have a good tub for a bath ), and tylenol?

jeni1206

Asked by jeni1206 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you tried warm compresses? The stent could have brought on the pre labor contractions. The best thing you can do it just keep moving until you find a comfortable spot and stick with it. Breathe the pain away. In with relief, out with the pain. Keep repeating that to yourself. It helped me when I was in labor. Congratulations, and it won't be too much longer mama, hang in there!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• awe, I'm sorry :( that sucks. the only relief I got was practically living in the bathtub full of hot water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I had this issue as well, I went to the hospital because I thought it was real labor, they gave me a shot of morphine and told me that it would either get rid of the contractions or push you into real progressive labor, it stopped it for me, so ask the doctor.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I've heard that drinking a huge glass of cool water can help.

Also, are you having sex? My midwife told me that since orgasm causes more oxitocin in the blood stream it can cause contractions. Sometimes it can be delayed by a couple of hours or days. Beat your hunny back with a stick, even if he's lookin' good!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• haha. at this point if i could have sex i would, but because of the stent placement things down there are extremely uncomfy( they go up through your urethra with a scope and all the way through your bladder to place the stent in the ureter tube. then i also had to have a catheter in for a day after. so yeah, that area is off limits, even t hough id at this point gladly take sex as a posssible end to this misery. im not trying to worsen the contractions, but anything that would push it one way or the other....i either want them to stop or regulate. i hate being in this crule, painful limbo!
    jeni1206

Answer by jeni1206 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2010