Is it okay to ask for prayer

I know weird title--and probably some of my complex and faith struggles--but is it okay to ask for prayer for yourself--such as need strength, job, relationship, etc--aint that selfish things for me to ask for??? i struggle praying for myself--but i don't want to be selfish either.

also another prayer question--for ex. asking for a job--why really pray for a job when some say it would be his will anyways--is it really necessary to pray, if it is his will---aint i not trusting in him then if i am asking/praying to him???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course it is okay to pray for yourself and to ask for prayer. God loves you! Always be praying......perhaps if you feel uncomfortable with the petition aspect of prayer, try meditative prayer, trusting that God knows your needs.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Yes.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• of course it's ok to ask for prayers and pray for specific requests. "Faith without works is dead". Yes His will will be done, but He's not going to give us handouts. He expects us to work for and really want what we are asking for to establish our faith in Him. Does that make sense?
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It all depends...
    I think that before asking someone to pray for you, you should consider rather or not you are offending any of their beliefs or culural way of life. Also I think that it is important that you think about the persons nature and character. Who do they pray to? Another thing is that when praying you have to understand the meaning to the ones you are asking, some believe prayere is a strict communication between a person and God/dess, while others believe it is general communitaction accessible to God through many ppl at once.
    Just something to think about.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Absolutely all right to pray for these things that you have listed. While God knows your needs, the Bible also says that God tells us that we have not because we ask not. Be specific when talking with God about your job needs, i.e., the salary you need, your benefits, everything about it. Asking people to pray with and for you is good also. "If any two on Earth shall touch and agree...."
    Anonymous

• Of course it is! It is pride not to.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Wouldn't you want your children coming to you and letting you know their needs? The same with God. He wants you coming to Him and asking for what you need from Him. As for praying for a job or any specifics, I've always heard that you do as for specifics if that's what you need so asking for a job is perfectly fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• James says that "we have not, because we ask not". (James 4:2) God loves to hear our prayers,petitions, and concerns whatever they are. Take yours to Him! (Philippians 4:6, Hebrews 4:16)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• of course we should be praying for ourselves as well as for others. And, you're right, God knows what we need even without our asking. But God wants us to know what we want and need and our prayers are our way of showing Him.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think of prayer as a conversation between God and me.  My human mind thinks this way--I want to talk with the humans I love.  I want good things for them.  Often I realize that I know my loved ones are stronger, smarter, and more talented than they give themselves credit for being.  How much more God cares for you and wants to converse with you and wants you to have every need met. 

I think of prayer as a direct line to the Creator 24/7. It is not selfish but practical to take care of the self that God entrusted to you. Sometimes you need others to help you. I, too, have had tough and scary faith struggles, and I am very grateful for those who prayed for me.

Pray. Expect an answer. Get some other projects going while the answer to your prayer is on its way. (Get your mind off the problem) Enjoy the adventure of the answer. Life is suppose to be interesting.

AndysMom1910

Answer by AndysMom1910 at 4:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2010