Naked time and babysitter(female) behaviour with 8 month old boy

Hi I am Eva single mom of Jason 8 months old. As I have only my income to us....I decided at Jasons birth to hire a nanny whom i had always trusted in. Just a month ago she moved and left us.Now whe have a new nanny 19yo and she loves Jason The other day when I come home and my sister was with me, we found them playing on the changing table and Jason was diaperless cos he had diaper rash.She was ticking mauling him....and kissed(I do that as a gesture of affection too)his diapyless booty.My sister was very disappointed about that she said me I should fire her immediately.I tried to explain her that was not such disgusting for me but she thinks no way that a good caregiver does that
What do you think about that
Consider that this gesture sounds completely normal to me and that we do every day naked time since birth

evajohnson

Asked by evajohnson at 10:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say trust your gut feeling. Obviously something is not wrong since your son likes the nanny. My mom is a day care provider for 4-5 children my son and soon to be daughter as well. They are all treated the same and as if they were family. I have seen her tickle the baby's bottom because they find it funny and giggle. I think this is simply harmless and your son and nanny have a good bond.
    night__wolf_

Answer by night__wolf_ at 9:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It sounds harmless. Trust your gut and keep an eye on her.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't think the nanny should be kissing the baby at all. She is young and doesn't know better. You can talk to her and just let her know she should not kiss him.

How and why would she love your baby after less than a month? I think you are using the word love too freely. The sitter should treat your baby lovingly but she should not love him or kiss him. You should know that and tell her that. Kissing a baby or young child is a selfish act that benefits the adult not the child. Kissing near the face or hands spreads germs.

They can hug. High 5. Other special things that doesn't involve kissing or anything that could be considered inappropriate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• she probably gave him a strawberry bubble kiss on his naked tineyhiney- if baby doesn't get more way more cranky to be with her I agree just keep eyes open.

Years ago with my first son I thought he would love to spend time away from me with a sitter instead of doing boring shopping with me. He was my only child then. I found a teen sitter I just loved but after once or twice my son just cried hysterically when she'd come over. I sitll left him even after he begged me to take him and I said back YOU"D rather go shopping in stores with mommy than stay home and PLAY? He did not want to stay with her. I talked it over with my mother in law who raised five kids who had a very good sense of appropriateness in life - she told me that something was wrong to never leave him again -
    for mom to tell me that I listened to her. She never came back, I fired her. Still I never found out what happened but I listened to my mil
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have a slightly different opinion than Gailll. I don't think it's selfish to kiss a baby although i agree it may pass germs.
    Anyway, I think she's harmless but just keep an eye on her.
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Kissing is selfish? I don't think so. It sounds like your new nanny has bonded with your child and her behaviour is completely appropriate. If you're not getting a bad vibe, don't worry about it.

If I had the opportunity to hire a nanny for my kids I'd want her to treat my kids the way I do (minus the yelling, LOL). Diaper and dressing times include LOTS of physical interaction, talking, singing, kissing the baby's tummy, knees, hands, feet, etc.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I have to disagree with Gaill on this one. I don't understand peoples objections to kisses as long as it isn't on the mouth (which can spread germs). Kissing is innocent and a sign of affection. Who doesn't like kissing a baby's cheek or razzberrying a belly.

Certainly, keep an eye open. But I wouldn't be disturbed by the behavior. If I hired soemone to watch my baby for several hours over the course of time I would wANT them to show lots of affection in my absence. How can you fall in love with a baby in less than a month? Well, family do it all the time. It's like saying grandparents, fathers, sisters, brothers, cousins, nephews, neices etc. can't possibly fall in love with a new baby in the family right away.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with that. She is playing and being affectionaye - that is a sign of a good nanny imo.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• sounds harmless, just keep an eye like you would anyway.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My baby has a very cute tush! I would kiss it, but, well, it's been in a diaper all night, so no... I absolutely think that a nanny should love the children they are watching though!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2010