Question about porkchops...

I have to admit this is a little embarrasing (sp?),lol. I bought a package of boneless porkchops back in August 2009. I hardly ever cook them because we are not huge fans of porkchops. I can't even eat pork! Anyway, I always put my meats in the freezer right away. Are they still safe to cook or do they need to go in the trash?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They're still safe to eat. Frozen food will last indefinitely, but the quality will be affected eventually. Your chops have been in the freezer for less than 6 months and should be just fine to eat.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I agree. They should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Honestly, no. Meats do go bad even when in the freezer. When they're thawed they will have lost flavor and even the nutrients that are naturally in meat. I would throw it out. Plus, freezer burn has probably set in making the meat taste super gross.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• They should be ok, just defrost in the fridge and if they smell bad after defrosting, don't use. Meats in the freezer are good for like 6 months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Jaz is wrong. They will be fine, as long as you put them right into the freezer and they haven't been thawed out and refrozen. We butcher whole animals and are still eating the meat over a year later, and it's perfectly fine.
    Anonymous

• They should be fine. Like tyfry said, defrost them in the fridge- DO NOT quick thaw them in the microwave as it can encourage disease growth- and if they smell bad or look greenish, toss 'em, they've gone bad.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• they're fine. jazz is wrong - take it from someone with professional food experience. freezing does not magically make it non nutritious.

how much money would we all be losing if we tossed it all in the garbage after a couple of months - especially those of us that buy in bulk for about 6 month periods.

thaw and enjoy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think they will be fine. Enjoy.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Thank You Ladies! I put them in the fridge to defrost,cooked them and they turned out great! :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2010