How do I get my 2 and 4 year olds to bed ar a decent hour?

I have tried everything that I know of to do. Nothing seems to work! I was wonderign if any of you knew of any "special" things that I could do to settle my kids down so that they are not up all hours of the night. My husband and I usually sleep in different beds - me in ours and him in the kids'. It's really quite frustrating not to be able to sleep with my hubby. We are supposed to be TTC but so far that is non-existant. ANY help/suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated!!!

faerie_princess

Asked by faerie_princess at 10:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• are you still letting them nap during the day? Whats' their bedtime routine?
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 10:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Activity. The more energy they use during the day the easier it will be to get them to bed at night. Stop co-sleeping. Your children are much too old to have someone sleeping in bed with them. Even if your husband just lays on the floor. They need to learn how to sleep on their own in their own bed. By using their energy up during the day they will have a greater chance of conking out when bed time rolls around. Whether it's playing sports outside, taking long walks, talking them to the park, playing inside with blocks, coloring, or playdough. Anything to keep their mind and body active for a good portion of the day. Remember to feed them well balanced meals that fill them up. This will help them have good energy to burn. If they're not getting enough to eat they'll be less likely to go to bed easily.

Again, tell hubbs not to sleep with them. It is only creating a dependency and putting distance (contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• (Contin) and putting ditance between your intimacy. Start a nighttime routine. For Example"

Dinner at 6:00.
    Baths at 7:00
    Snuggle up for a story at 7:30
    Bedtime at 8:00.

The more consistant your daily schedule is, especially the nighttime schedule, the greater chance you'll have of them actually going to bed at bedtime. The more sparadic it is, the less chance you'll have success at getting them to want to go to bed. Let them pick the story to read, or if you decide a DVD to watch then let them choose it. Giving them a choice of what to read/watch when it's time for down time, will help them be more willing to settle down.

Be more involved with them during the day if you can. A lot of the times children want their parents to sleep with them, because they feel they're not getting enough of their attention. So try and interact with your kids more. That may help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Thanx 2 all tht responded 2 my question n wanted more input 2 asses the question further. I will take all of ur advise into consideration whn its tme 4 bed. I kno tht things will more thn likley get worse b4 they get better - I didnt expect things 2 change ovrnite (although tht wud b loverly).
    My kids DO still nap during the day n they r both VERY active 2. They literally run themselves dwn n thn crash btween 3-5pm 4 a nap. I kno tht this is WAY too late 4 a nap but there is no way tht I can stop them no matter how I try 2 b involved in tht. Then when they wake, its like 5-7pm, n they have all this energy whn its tme 4 bed n dnt go 2 bed till almost midnight.
    As far as letting my kids cry...I kno THAT will b the hardest thing tht I will hve 2 do - my children rarely cry at all unless they r hurt. But Im willing 2 do wat I have to - to get them on a schedule again. They used 2 b on one but I dunno wat happened.
    faerie_princess

Answer by faerie_princess at 2:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Routine is the key .. you have to do the same things at the same time until they get used to it. Gonna be a challenge at first, but eventually they will come around.

For example you can do something fun for them such as 1/2 hr of cartoons or Mommy time,then brush their teeth, read a story and tuck them in. Just before this "settle down time" you should let them do something active ... run around, play music & let them dance ... something to burn that energy.

Little people need consistency and routine as much as possible. That way they know what to expect.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think if you kept them up one day, do not allow them to take that late nap, that would really help. That night they would most likely be ready for bed ay 7:30 - 8:00 and go down pretty quick. If they go down early, they will wake up early the next day and be ready for an early nap and early bed again, Just stay consistent.
    Anonymous

• There's something called Sleepy Time Tea by Celestial Seasonings. It is natural and works very well when you give it to them an hour or so before bedtime. My son has given me a few problems and this worked wonders for me. It contains chamomile, spearmint, lemon grass, orange blossoms, hawthorn berries, blackberry leaves, rosebuds and tilia flowers. I asked my pediatrician about it because I had heard about it from a friend and he informed me that it was perfectly safe as all the ingredients are natural.
    Kylanna

Answer by Kylanna at 6:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• No late naps!!! If my 2 and a half year old hasnt had a nap by 1 pm, it;s off limits. If he sleeps late, he wont go down till after 9 pm. I like my kids to be in bed no later than 8 pm. Night time is my time.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010