U.N.'s World Health Organization Eyeing Global Tax on Banking, Internet Activity

The World Health Organization (WHO) is considering a plan to ask governments to impose a global consumer tax on such things as Internet activity or everyday financial transactions like paying bills online.

Such a scheme could raise "tens of billions of dollars" on behalf of the United Nations' public health arm from a broad base of consumers, which would then be used to transfer drug-making research, development and manufacturing capabilities, among other things, to the developing world.

Should the UN and the WHO be proposing taxes at all? This is the second time they have proposed this. Does anyone else find this outrageous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw this story this morning on the news. They are opportunists who want their share of the $ being generated by the flurry of taxes being levied now. They are scared they will wait too long before the people say in a very loud voice, "ENOUGH ALREALY!!!" I don't like any organization or ideal that has the word "world" in it unless it has to do with sports. It's just too global government for me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• No, they are not....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Linda, are you anon :38?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• You know Obama will sign on to it. He hasn't met a tax he didn't like yet.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I don't feel the UN should have the power to suggest taxes to countries.  Only our elected representatives should do that.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Nothing surprises me. I would love to say this could never happen but with Obama who knows his goal is to collapse the economy and take away personal freedoms so anything is possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I think it will be a cold day in hell before I pay a tax imposed upon me by the UN. That's what I think.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010